About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

S is for S.E.G.O.M.

Societie d' Edition General d' Objets Moules. One of the more sought-after or mythical names in war-gaming circles, SEGOM were primarily a range of 54mm metal figures from France, at some point they experimented with plastics (these are an acetone based injection-moulded resin) possibly as an attempt to counter the products of MDM (who were having a lot of success getting their - factory painted - 40mm figures into hotel and airport departure lounge display cases), in the course of which they produced a very small range of 25mm Napoleonic subjects, for a limited period.

This is the gun, with it's bits, it is of course a French piece, and was moulded in a green plastic.

Here is the same piece after a damn fine paint-job, the guy who painted them has sadly passed away, and I'm afraid I don't know his name, but am glad his work will be seen by a wider audience.

The horse was moulded in two parts with a separate base, there were three poses and three colours, with the bases moulded in the same cream as the figures. Also seen are two of the saddle bag/packs which came separately on the sprue of some mounted figures.

[I have no white 101's but would swap for a dark chocolate one, if you happen to have a spare; eMail me]

By the same artist as the artillery group, showing well what could be achieved with this small range, the figures were (with the exception of a couple of firing foot figures) in non-combat poses and were meant to be for display. He has actually used halves from two different catalogued horses - as was intended - there being a possible 9 different combinations.

Some of the cavalry as issued, note the Lancer on the left and Hussar on the right have their pack/saddle roll moulded onto their bum, but the Cuirassier/Dragoon types have the separate piece attached to the sprue.

No comments: