About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

G is for Gone With The Wind

The third and - I think - final set in this series of 5 figure sets by Cameo Guild for Dave Grossman was titled "Atlanta Scene III", size is now varying between 30mm for the slave to 40mm for the male lead, so I guess they were made to accurately reflect the original characters height and have changed all three post's labels to reflect this.

Left-to-right again; Rhett, Scarlett, Belle Watling (looking far more scarlet than Scarlett!), Prissy ('aren't our little black slave characters soooh adorable' - someone might have said at the time?!) and Aunt Pittypat...isn't she a ferret out of a Peter Rabbit book!!!?

Note how Rhett's moustache has grown and Scarlett is becoming more brunette!

The packaging for one figure, you could get 60+ in the box. Note also how the smart registration card of the first set is now a roughly cut-out piece of photocopying, the two-colour stick-on lid-label has become one-colour and the box has dispensed with fancy position-reliant graphics and been replaced with a repeat logotype that can be punched out with less accuracy (more cheaply!). This is a series running out of steam two years (1994) after it's launch. Not enough subscribers...? If there was a subsequent set, someone might let us know?

Despite all the little digs I've made in the last 3 posts, I like these figures and I'm happy to have them, however I hate what they represent...overpriced, cheap technology, cheap material buy-to-collect 'collectables'. When the people of the world realise I should have been running the planet all along and vote for me to do so! I will, as a priority, bulldoze the mighty works of Franklin, Danbury, John Hine, Cameo, Bradford Exchange and a hundred others, look upon them...and rejoice! (Apologies to Shelly!)

No comments: