About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

B is for Bedford MK by Blue Box

Having looked at the Bedford RL the other day, childhood favorite, I think we should look at its replacement, the 'MK' (which is for 'K., Military Pattern', not 'Mark'), a vehicle I have close experience of, not least, sitting in the back of them, in convoy, parked against the side of a wood on cold German nights in October while the engine fumes snuck-up from underneath, whisped through the gap between the tilt and the metal sides and induced first a bit of coughing, then sleep in the assembled squadies!

Sadly; having produced both Ambulance and GS versions of the RL, Blue Box didn't bother with the MK, choosing only to reuse the 'equipment flat-bed' of the RL on a new cab/chassis assembly. I'm sure all seven loads were available, but have yet to track down the Lone*Star inspired rocket-gun thing.

Early issues were in the bottle green of the RL's, later sets were made in an Olive-drab.

Again smaller quantities of the grey version were issued in the larger two-sided sets. The new chassis included a far better detailed wheel/tyre pattern with an integral axle - all in polyethylene, rather than the old pressed-on to metal bar arrangement which often lead to missing or wonky wheels.

A double-decked play-set with 6 windows, the figures are the 45mm versions, which is why there is an outside possibility the Sun-disk on my RL (see previous post below) might have come in a Jap version with the 45mm Japs? [It did, one went through Bonhams auctions]

Civilian versions existed as well, in this case a blister-packed carded rack-toy. Note the shipping container and packing crate are both printed, folded, card cut-outs.

No comments: