About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Friday, October 19, 2012

News, Views Etc...Shows and an Auction

Auction

Speaking of Vectis (as I was earlier today in the PW149 post) and of the hand-painted Marx Miniature Masterpice items kicking around the hobby a few years ago seems to have been quite timely, as the regular 'Please buy our Olympic shite' eMail from Airfix-call-me-Hornby arrived today with news of a Vectis auction, which is to include some early Airfix archive material.

To be honest, I could only find one item of any interest, a James Bond Autogyro, and they're not that rare. there is some nice original artwork for sale, but with a ready-made 25lbr being described as 'very rare' (loose, mind!) the cataloguing needs to be taken with a pinch of salt!

Auction Listings Here

of more interest is that in the section on 'Plastic Issues - Connoisseur Selection' there are two of the hand-painted Marx sets up for offer...far more interesting than bog-standard kits!!

Shows

Herne

Peter of PB Toys has dropped me a line and reminded me that his Autumn [Kunststoffiguren Börse] plastic soldier show in Herne, Germany is fast approching, full details will be on his site...

Details Here

...but the address for your diary's is 04/11/2012, or two weeks this Sunday.

Birmingham

Which means that a week this Sunday will be Dave McKenna's show in Birmingham, details will be the same as previous years, but the basics are;

When - Sunday 28th October 2012.
Where - Clarendon Suite, 2 Stirling Road, Edgbaston.

4 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

Herne,,,my Mecca!! There´s a lot of model shows in germany around this time of year but Herne is an absolute must...
Cheers
paul

Maverick Collecting said...

I know - I've already apologised to Peter for probably going to miss it!

H

remaras said...

Interesting!

Maverick Collecting said...

Hi Remaras

I think the artwork is probably the more interesting, most of the kits are pretty bog-standard, very few early bagged ones - for instance.

I've seen some of these artworks before (there were a shed-load of them in Vectis 3 or 4 years ago), and while the figure-box art was very fine, a lot of the ships and Aircraft have very sketchy backgrounds, as they were produced as 'commercial' art, not fine-art and one of the parameters is how the art will print, usually much smaller than the painting...but the vessels and aircraft themselves are superb!

H