About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, November 22, 2013

J is for Jobber

The American for importer or wholesaler (all will become clear when I add a few pages), anyway; this British 'Brand' was like Giant in the 'States, Woolbro or Success (WHC [-ornelius]) over here; an importer and wholesaler of toys mostly from the Far-east (but also from home manufacturers), but much older, being a trademark of Graham Brothers of London since the 1880's.

I will be looking at some later plastic by Fairylite soon, but I thought it would be nice to look at a but of the earlier tin-plate, particularly as it comes with figures...how I ended up with so many vehicles in a figure collection in the first place!

Various shots of the vehicle, almost certainly made in Japan, and probably a pre-war (1935) toy - going on the patent code. And notice how it states 'Brit.Patt.Pend' ie the actual patent is held elsewhere, but we're hoping you'll think it's a British toy.

Litho-printed sheets of quite high quality tin are pressed and folded into each-other and held with a tab and slot arrangement. Figures are about 35/40mm again (earlier post this evening), making the toy approximately 1:48th scale. Although the crew is missing 3 of 4 so won't be much help at a big 'shout'!


 Two quarter-views of the whole thing. It would have been a fantastic sight under the tree at Christmas time, but only for the wealthy one surmises...A 'penny toy' it 'aint!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You just solved a mystery. Thank you.

Hugh Walter said...

Happy to have been of help! Thanks for visiting . . .

H