About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Friday, November 22, 2013

J is for Jobber

The American for importer or wholesaler (all will become clear when I add a few pages), anyway; this British 'Brand' was like Giant in the 'States, Woolbro or Success (WHC [-ornelius]) over here; an importer and wholesaler of toys mostly from the Far-east (but also from home manufacturers), but much older, being a trademark of Graham Brothers of London since the 1880's.

I will be looking at some later plastic by Fairylite soon, but I thought it would be nice to look at a but of the earlier tin-plate, particularly as it comes with figures...how I ended up with so many vehicles in a figure collection in the first place!

Various shots of the vehicle, almost certainly made in Japan, and probably a pre-war (1935) toy - going on the patent code. And notice how it states 'Brit.Patt.Pend' ie the actual patent is held elsewhere, but we're hoping you'll think it's a British toy.

Litho-printed sheets of quite high quality tin are pressed and folded into each-other and held with a tab and slot arrangement. Figures are about 35/40mm again (earlier post this evening), making the toy approximately 1:48th scale. Although the crew is missing 3 of 4 so won't be much help at a big 'shout'!


 Two quarter-views of the whole thing. It would have been a fantastic sight under the tree at Christmas time, but only for the wealthy one surmises...A 'penny toy' it 'aint!

No comments: