About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, August 25, 2014

N is for Nice

Back to Britains box-ticking with this post, these are still very common, the only problematical aspect is the pole arms which were polystyrene and are breaking faster than the figures get damaged, so you often find the figures without weapons, or with damaged weapons, or 'borrowed' Timpo or other tools!

I really like them none-the-less, as we had them as kids and being Hong Kong-for-Herald PVC they took a lot of punishment...except the pole-arms! And they were/are nice sculpts, possibly early Ron Cameron work?

This was my collection about 18 months ago, a reasonable sample but missing a few of the variants. Basically; there are two paint versions for each figure although with the chaps in plate armour it's a minor thing.

A year ago I bought a junk lot off Mike Melnyk which had three of the four I was looking for, but I've now lost them in the 'to be sorted' zone of the attic, so this shot I took at the time is all I've got to go on! Blue version of the black pole-arm bloke, red version of the swordsman (who will need the white versions base!) and a yellow-crested shield-guy, I'm just looking for a red-crested version of the other pole-arm equipped figure now.

To go deeper into the variation thing - you can look for different shield stickers, the goldie-coloured silver, both shades of yellow and variations on the belt painting of blue/black pole-arm man. Mounted and siege crew another day...

No comments: