About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Friday, August 8, 2014

P is for Pop-waist Personnel

The second development in the Deetail knights history (approximately 1984-9) was/were these additions, I've seen them described as 'like swoppets', but with limited articulation in one plane - at the waist - and the 'swivel' moniker more accurate for the later knights we looked at below somewhere, I call them the pop-waist knights, or; Poppets - which is the title of various plastic bead sets of the time!

Six foot figures, some of these are a bit static or wooden, and the colours, for the most part are a tad wishy-washy for heraldry methinks But, they were more poses for the battlefield, and when you're 8, 10, or 12-years old that's all that matters really! And several of them were heavily armed...bargain!

By swapping weapons, you could have guys with three swords, one in each hand and a spare at the wiast should one slip out of a bloodied steel glove!

I don't seem to be the only one who thought the colours were a bit weak as they regularly turn-up with no decoration at all, just a coat of the silver paint - possibly produced at the end of the run to counter the plain-gold Great Shield guys?

There were also a set of mounted legs, and it was in this guise, with a coat of gold paint that they were carried through to the Great Shield range in 1988 as 'enemy', from where they would march-on into the mid-1990's.

2 comments:

Ed and Bettina Berg said...

Well, I can see I've a bit of catching up to do to get this whole Britains thing figured out. Thanx for unconfusing me more than I'm already unconfused :-) - Ed

Hugh Walter said...

I'm not sure I've got it 'off-pat' myself Ed!!

H