About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Friday, February 19, 2016

M is for Mini Play Sets

I can't remember when I reviewed these in One Inch Warrior magazine, but I seem to remember it was an early issue, so they must have been shown at the Toy fair around 2001/2-'ish? They started turning -up at car boot sales about 2006 anyway, and I've procured this little handful, which are really only good for a box tick, as while they have been branded to various stores and chains, they were originally Blue Box, so this gets them on that tag!


In the style of Micro-machines or Action Fleet from Galoob, but a little stumpier; I think these were a Knights of the Round table play-set with (note sword 'in stone') King Arthur centre, and Guinevere as one of the two ladies of the court top right.

Other sets had a more magical or fantasy setting with dragons and ghosts and stuff. All the little weapons are the same but the shields had different stckers and the horses alternative paint.

When a set has background stickers on a separate sheet, there are often on or two that can be turned into a card 'flat', such is the case with this suit of armour, I have similar Storm-troopers and a couple of crowds of civilians in my Galoob Star Wars collection!

Larger accessories, there were also sets of Romans and US Cavalry/Wild West if I recall correctly? With various accessories being issued in more than one set. Each set was centred on a small, not terribly realistic/useful [to gamers], clip-together fort.

I'm not sure if the Turtles weren't issued by Playmates, but that might have been something similar? Clearly there was also a pirate set, with what looks like one of Tom of Finland's friends starring in a leather jerkin! That Blue Box micro-action figures ticked off.

No comments: