About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

B is for Big Blow-Molded Boys

Biggest purchase at Sandown Park was these three, found on Steve Vickers table, I had to have them; A) because they are so different from the run-of-the-mill 54/60mm stuff, and B) because I need enemy for the commoner Soviet Era Russian toy soldiers in a similar style.

Made in Hong Kong, and presumably sold as beach-toys, probably with a large jeep or truck type thing, one of them is quite clearly General George C Scott . . . err . . . S Patton!

All around 135mm (just over 5") and blow-moulded to a reasonably substantial thickness, they nevertheless have a few thin areas at the boot-tips having been blown from the helmet end . . . Ooh-err missus!

 
Compared with 5 and 6½-inch Russians of the same era, the Russians are more solid mouldings, although also hollow, I suspect these are produced by what is known as rotary moulding, like large pieces of play-equipment, agricultural sprayer tanks or traffic barriers and such-like (road-side salt or sand boxes) the walls being much thicker and having no thin-spots. They also hold greater detail than yer'average blow-mould.

From behind; the Russian figures are from a much bigger range, with historical and naval subjects, and they come in gorgeous colours, rich reds, purples and greens, Chinese orange, and I have a sailor in storage in a nice shade of malachite green in the storage unit. There is a set of Russian ones in the same type of blow-moulding as these GI's, but they have funny little disc-bases on.

Three against three will do for now, and I have a large fireman in a similar style somewhere!



The one in the middle looks a bit like a young (Deer Hunter) Christopher Walken? Aren't they brilliant! Steve's got a couple left.

No comments: