About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

C is for Contribution Fortnight - XIV - Silvercorn from Tim/Gisby

Closing Contribution week, and closing the Silvercorn sets! It was going to run to 18 parts, but I've pulled a few for 'later'! Thanks to everyone who's contributed, and there is more in the queue, but a special thanks to Tim for sending these; twice (is anyone else having problems with images in the 'new' Hotmail/Outlook?) after they turned up the first time as thumbnails!

They are the things I was thinking of, but I only have a few in storage, while Tim has sent all the different vehicle types and the case etc. I don't have the Pinzgauer looking ATV for instance and I think I only have one tank, so we would have been a long time waiting, even if I'd got everything out of storage!

A closer look at the soft-skins and LAV/Piranha types - they are all pretty generic, but the Hummers are pretty clear (except the Chines have their own copied version I believe!). Tim says he found a few more after the photo-session, but all of the same types.

The undersides with the teeny-tiny little wheel/axle arrangements which have to be fitted without braking . . . on my little sample I put green axles on sand vehicles and vice-versa!

Scale of these is constant with the tanks smaller than some of the other vehicles, but for war-gaming, they are a tad bigger than the 1::300th scale 'standard', although there were ranges of 1:260 or 285 stuff kicking around in the early 1980's - I seem to recall?



Close-ups of the tanks. There's one clearly taking it's turret design from Soviet equipment, and two have all (well; 'some'!) of the hallmarks of either the M1 Abrahams or Challenger series' while the fourth design (middle image of the three) is more interesting - looking like some of the smaller-run medium-tank designs coming out of Brazil, Argentina or Italy over the last 30-years?

The packaging brings this one to a close, and that seems to be all the Silvercorn 'Military Case's' covered on the Blog now, three of them due to input from other people so many thanks to all - Brian Berke, Uncle Brian and Tim/Gisby.

5 comments:

Gisby said...

Hugh, the original pictures were small because I SENT them much smaller. I redid them and sent them again.

I also found more yet: A tan truck and turreted APC, and a green tank. So all in all, five more vehicles than in the pictures.

Gisby said...

GHQ and C-in-C were doing 1/285 armour in the USA, and indeed still are.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Gisby - you can almost work out from what's not there what's missing if you know what I mean...the animals went in two-by-two and all that! Although I'm realising the packing of these little boxes was pretty random vis-a-vis the numbers of each runner or colour!

I had a 1:285 Tiger with a heavy-gauge steel wire rod barrel (like coat-hanger wire), which was always 'last man standing' against my 1:300 Skytrex!

H

Gisby said...

It finally seems to have worked out at 12 vehicles per side: As you say, they may have supplied sprues randomly, but I am surprised nonetheless. Surely it would have been cheaper for them to have identical sprues for both sides rather than making a selection to choose from. But I do wish they were still available, for some reason.

Hugh Walter said...

The funny thing is - They probably ARE still available in some local general store 'off the beaten track' somewhere!

Back in the late 1990's when I was a sign-fitter; using someone else's van and diesel to swan about the UK (100,000 miles a year!), I used to get excellent old HK stuff - cowboys, pirates, farm and zoo etc. - from a mixed gift-shop, hardware stare and newsagents behind a car park somewhere south of Uckfield off the A22 (Hailsham?).

We had several jobs around there, and I'd always volunteer! Hah, those were the days!

H