About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Saturday, June 3, 2017

K is for Kickabout

From yesterdays sublime to today's frankly faintly ridiculous, but they all have a place in the small scale world!



First seen in the spring, the new in-house branding of Funworkz or Fun Workz as it is here has now featured three times in these pages I think? Aimed at kids it's really an executive 'desk toy' and as such; just the sort of thing we can give ourselves permission to buy - especially at a quid a pop! Mr Trump seems determined to end the world early, so enjoy what you can while you can . . .

. . . with a little kickabout on the desk or coffee table! The four traffic cones supplied with the set allow for a penalty shoot-out with a mate, offspring or partner, while a bit of chicanery is the solo opption. A bit of practice might allow for keepie-uppie using the player as a bat?

Having only recently qualified in CAD myself, I can tell you that this is all the money in the bag as far as development costs go, and it's a beautiful solution to the problem posed; wanting the black hexagons and white pentagons to be made out of the different two colours rather than painted on or hinted-at in the moulding (like old gum-ball or Subbuteo balls), it's basically an 'Iwako eraser' married to a jig-toy/puzzle!

While complicated to CAD-up, it's a simple exercise in geometry, but it would take a day or two (like that bloody Dalek's head!) to get right as you have to build it out of polygonal-cones, then work out which ones will be white, which black, the subtract or union the two groups into the main five final-sections, then deal with the unseen interior, cutting-up and awarding that space to the different sections and then work out how to hold them all together with the two plugs - I would have loved to watch this going through its development!

No comments: