About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

T is for Treason - in the Tower!

Picked this up for a quid-fifty in a charity-shop the other day . . .

. . . Attracted to the image of a figure and the news - upon closer inspection - that there were more.

As with a lot of these games it's mostly air, stored in two loose-formed boxes supporting the board over the component compartment, but it was all there, with four figures, and a raven!

The figures (of a type I call Mocherette - but that's for another day and another page!) are a mix of two modern tourist box-ticking types - Yeoman Warder and Guardsman, and two historical figures - a knight in armour and Anne Boleyn. There's also a micro-model of the White Tower, the raven (approximately 54mm) and a gold-chromed crown ('Crown Jewels' token), which had its own plush, velveteen bag with a draw-string.

The figures are a standard 25mm (I didn't have the Airfix - or any - guards to hand!), and the knight is a scaled-down copy of the old Peltro-Westair figure later carried by Kinder. All four are a tad crudely-finished (the Yeoman leans drunkenly to one side and the Guardsman holds a pop-gun), but nothing which a bit of paint wouldn't hide at this scale!

Saved bits going into the collection, everything else went to the recycling bin. It's a tourist item really; the company behind it (The Green Board Game Company) has clearly approached or been approached-by Historic Royal Palaces to knock something together for the gift shops in the latter's high-heritage-factor, end-destination, tourist-trap, leisure facilities!

Indeed - because of the tourist-link, it's likely that a fair few of these have been taken out of the country?

The map may have some use for role-playing, but I think it's a bit too busy to be easily converted and if one was minded to do something in a real place, it would be easier to start from scratch.

The play, as far as I could tell, was a combination of Cludo (Clue) and Magic the Gathering (!), no; Monopoly, having a card-driven, collect-items-to-act, race-against-the-other-players mechanism, with moves in-turn, round the board. I've scanned the paperwork in case it ever proves useful, but I can't see myself getting much mileage out of the whole, and all this stuff takes-up a lot of space - for what it is - better to get it recycled before we all drown in human detritus.

I've actually visited friends in the Queens House buildings (well; now the Vichy French are calling me big-headed I might as well talk like a big-head!), which are used by some of the permanent staff to live-in and they are fascinating; from the outside they look like a row of large, semi-detached Elizabethan town-houses, but inside they are a warren of tight, narrow corridors, steep, snaking staircases, low ceilings and beams you can easily brain yourself on!

Links

No comments: