About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Friday, September 8, 2017

F is for Funny How Things Come Together Sometimes

Or: H is for Henbrandt . . . Again!

I was walking up to the station the other day and a saw a piece of orange plastic in the detritus building up in the rain-channel the local authority gave-up cleaning as soon as they had installed it!

Picking it up (I'm a right old pikey!) I recognised it to be a jumping-toy mechanism and stuffed it in my pocket . . . for the spares box, you understand!

Only to notice a rather mucky blob of green rubber a few days later in the same damp leaf-pile, taking that home too - for a good wash with a toothbrush, it was obvious they went together . . . probably thrown from a passing car by a stroppy infant, or dropped by the occupant of a pram?

Thinking maybe it was a Frogglet from the Clangers, and possibly a freebie from one of these kids magazines, I put it to one side intending to include it in one of the future Christmas novelty round-ups or a [the] Clanger post (which has been in Picasa for a while now!) after shooting off a few pictures for whenever; and thought no more about it, for a week or three.

Then, when I popped into The Entertainer in Basingrad for my occasional look to see if there are any new rack-toys around, or any developments in Star Wars or Micro Machines &etc., I found a whole box of them! 50p each! You'd be mad not to (or less mad than me? Doh!), so I bought one-each of the four I didn't have.

Because we'll probably never return to them, and I quite like them - in my immaturity! - I took too many photographs, so here are a couple more! 

The blue one reminds me of Plug from the Bash Street Kids!

Branded to Henbrandt, and part of a promotional, pocket-money, toy stack/display called Fun Time, they were alongside the usual segmented snakes, yo-yo's, bouncy-balls and so on, all @ 50p per unit.

However, when I went to pay for my four-for-two-quid Jump-up Monsters (for that is what they are called on the receipt), the cashier said "That's one-fifty sir", says I "I think you'll find it should be two, there's four here and they're fifty-pee each?", "No" replies the lad; "They are on offer, it's all three-for-a-pound on that end", "Blimey" says I, "I'll have another look" . . .

. . . returning moments later, to the same till, with three parachuting aliens, each holding an umbrella - as an emergency 'shute - and a book to read on the way down! The three also in Henbrandt 'cellophanes', a quid: bargain!

In the meantime, I had found this further along the same footpath, but definitely a pedestrian's loss as it was where the path is further from the road - maybe a secretive baby is feeding stuff he wants to see on the Blog, to the Blog, by 'accident'!

It too is branded to Henbrandt, and I had seen them, a while ago (but can't remember where, as I never imagined I'd need to know!) in larger bags of 10 or maybe 20 units for a couple- or few-quid as bulk-buy, party favours.

[chant]
♪♫♪ Allll to'getheeer'now - alltogethernow! ♪♫♪
♪♫♪ Allll to'getheeer'now - alltogethernow! ♪♫♪

[up an octave]
♪♫♪ Allll to'getheeer'now - alltogethernow! ♪♫♪

[shout]
♪♫♪ Aaalllllll toooo'geethhh-eeerrrr NOW! ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

[repeat until you're sick of it in your head - earworm!]

No comments: