About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

M is for Mezquita

Apparently Mezquita are a minor make in Spain, I've only seen a couple of sets from them on feebleBay over the years, along with this set and some mention of small scale Pegaso Baraja lorries sold on similar blister cards - on one of the 1:87th scale websites - the sort of Kiosko priced just above Sobres?

This one contains a copy of a French wagon (with yet another source of Bergan/Beton-copy horse!), a Spanish-made Indian sculpt-copy in another scale and a boat more like those you find carved in wood, in Germany! Other sets have Comansi copies in the style of Montaplex.

It's a pocket-money, knock-off, rack-toy isn't it . . . if you are a six or seven-year old from Catalonia who's parents jump every time there's a knock on the door in case it's Franco's thugs or some Catholic church-funded goons come to 're-educate' them, this Mezquita set would be a cheap, fun way of taking your mind off life in a fascist dictatorship for a few hours!

There's only so many ways to photograph a sealed set in a hurry, and the first shot is it! I didn't think to take angle-shots at the time and while I can't remember where I shot it - it was a while ago!

The 'G' seems to have no significance beyond Mezquita stock/production coding of some kind; other sets having 'JP' in the same panel? The price is written in the German style with a long-headed figure-one, maybe an export to East Germany, we know the [Fascist] Spanish of the time had no ethical problems dealing with [the Communists in] Cuba?

The smudge (hidden by flash-reflection in the above-published shot) may be an artist's moniker . . . Ike, Ice, Iko, Ico or even 'Ibo'?

No comments: