About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

T is for Toro Toro Teixidor!

Shot this on Mercator's stand two three weekends ago, the sort of stand-alone item I'll never have the funds (or the room!) for, and while I collect the loose figures, I've yet to get any Teixido examples, so a bit of a treat to see this and photograph it (despite my opinion of bullfighting which I won't bore you with again!).

The set comes like this under a lift-off lid, whether there was any packing - maybe tissue - when new I don't know, there is one piece of string, but that seems structural and to be holding down the sandpaper ring (which you would have thought they'd glue-down?) to the base of the box.

The four corners are boxed-over and the whole is foil-laminated with red/white striped 'wrapping paper'. The semi-translucent stuff is book-binders mending/repair tape I think and the whole thing was sitting in the lid which I forgot to photograph!

The ring - though toy-like and scaled-down - has all the amenities of the real thing printed on the outer wall with various exits for the fighters, butchers and hangers-on, there's also a card inner wall to hide behind - when the thing you're slowly killing tries to kill you first - which is just a strip of card stapled at the ends to make a rigid hoop!

Foot types present in this set, there are more in the Teixido inventory and with the [re]moveable arms a couple of the figures can be made to hold the cloth/cape behind them making them look quite different.

A mounted figure missing his left arm and the bull; it would appear the bull is the donor for the Jecsan bull in my collection, but Teixido's has its head down with exhaustion and - like all originals - is a better sculpt.

Compare with the copies and other brands here, I think I called them all Comansi when I published, but I've got them all straight in my head now and by the time you read this I should have updated the old post to read more correctly! [Actually it wasn't as bad as I thought and comments dealt with what remained!]

Looking at the protection the horses carry raises the question of what damage do the horses suffer or how often are horses damaged or even killed/put-down? Maybe the barbarism isn't confined to the bulls and the odd Bullfighter?




A couple more shots of the 'whole'. Daniel Lepers recently reported in Plastic Warrior magazine 167 (back numbers/subscriptions available) that these are getting brittle now and collectors are having to be very careful handling them, I have to say these looked OK - but I wasn't about to test them!

No comments: