About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

D is for Disaster!

It's the annual Crimbo-chocolate post! Bit of a rant this year!

Lidl's have stopped shipping-in their lovely Favorina chocolate advent calendars of which there was always a choice of three, one girly kids one, one blokey kids one and one traditional one with a sort of 'cheap Christmas card' scene with Christmassy and/or religious overtones, which was the one I always got, each window (are they windows, or doors?) had a different chocolate shape, there were the correct 24 windows and the chocolate was lovely!

Last one from 2016

Last year they started sourcing them from within the UK (Kinnerton) and while the chocolate was OK, it was UK-okay if you know what I mean, not proper chocolate at all, and worse - all the boxes were younger kids TV or book/comic character tie-ins, so this year I paid an extra quid for a Thornton's one, hoping it would at least taste better.

No proper figurals this year

It's got 25 doors (are they doors, or windows?) which is sacrilege ('Bread & Circus' - "Give the proles an extra doorwindow!"), only six designs and the chocolate tastes like Cadbury's Dairy Milk which I've never liked, vegetable-fatty, sugar-gritty, shite.

I know it's frivolous, but there's a point - like housing, like prisons, like wages, like benefits, like the roads, military procurement, education (funding and policing) local governance, banking, tribunals, the toy trade, manufacturing, fishing, mental-health, pensions, policing - pretty-much any aspect of public life you care to mention; the crappifying of chocolate advent calendars is a symptom of something greater; that we are going backwards.

We are going downhill, we've ceased to improve, progress isn't and we've started to visibly, tangibly, actually degrade - as a nation, we are on the slide. 38-years of Thatcherite-Reganomic policy has left us divided, devoid of ideas and without a pot to piss in and pushing ahead with Trumpundbrexit won't do anything more than accelerate the regression. So endeth the message of hope for 2018!

Finishing on a lighter note, the one on the left is a penguin in a scarf - if you're wondering.

While the one on the right ended this way-up after I'd wrestled it from the tray and I momentarily thought - why have I got a whale-plane from the Wacky Races in my advent calendar?

2 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

To put is another way, we are "going to hell in a hand-basket. The all-mighty Molech our new savior.

Hugh Walter said...

Yes Jan . . . if only it was a Games Workshop Molech to which you were referring and not the biblical reference I fear you make!

H