About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

P is for Provencal Peasants and Performing Provincials

I had to read-up on Santon's for the pesky Composition Page which seems fated to never happen, or destined to become a book! Primarily, this was because there was confusion in my simple-mind between 'Santons' and 'Senton', who we'd already seen here on the blog. Turns out Senton make Santons and Santons are the French take on Italian Presepi, except they (the French) apparently got the idea from the Spanish Belenes!

Typicall though, while most Santons, including those from Senton are painted and between 50 and 80mm, these are 120-odd and undecorated! However I'm sure enough they are Santons as the French changed the rules on who could attend the Nativity and decided that occasional guests could include celebrities and presidents - past and present - while one of the 50 regular guests is the hunter, complete with anachronistic firearm!

These are fired terracotta with a couple of chips on the hat brims, revealing that they were finished with a dark varnish wash or dip.

These aren't Santons, being more decorative or ornamental but of the same sort of subject; country bumpkins, so they can go here. They were photographed on Adrian's stall back in the summer, and seem to be blow-moulded polystyrene, done in the style of the Casein figures that turn-up occasionally and/or Japanese celluloid blow-moulds.

However they actually have what appears to be a British 'Registered Patent' application number round the base; hers not clear, his quite readable; R.P. No. 8863-something obscured by what looks like an Araldite repair. They have wooden bases to match the similar casein models.

Yet I wonder if the RP could be Republique Provence? They remain a mystery - unless you know better (?) - are figural and are interesting . . . and; to be honest - look more Spanish or Portuguese than anything!

Links

On the blog

No comments: