About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

H is for Horsey-horsey! - Board Games I

Actually; I think that's another game entirely!

Bit of a board game day today, I lost the rhythm on Thursday, and was running around Friday thinking should I do this, should I finish that, what I'm I doing for Monday . . . and in the end I thought "Fuckit I'll have a few 'days off'!" Anyway; we'll get back on track with a board-game fest!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with this set, where you are - if you're not in the UK that is; for people nearer home it will be as familiar as the proverbial bad penny . . . although is a penny ever bad given that it’s better than no penny? Find a penny; pick it up, all day long you'll have someone else's penny!

A perennial favourite of mixed auction-lots (that box of shite which is 'offered' at a start-bid of five-pounds at the end of the auction "Can I see a hand please?" as people start wandering off to see if the refreshment window is still open), charity shops, car-boot and jumble-sales, I wonder how many have actually bothered to play it?

It's actually two games. Each of which seems to have more bits and pieces than a whole game of - its sort of namesake - Monopoly! First you have to play a two-dice Monopoly type game which leaves the players with more, less or little money, provides their [leased] horse-flesh with standing that may or may not help it in the final race, and establishes their training credentials in some points system, while also buying veterinary surgeries or feed wholesalers; or at least that what I got from a swift speed-read of the rules . . .

. . . then you have a single-dice horse race, with gambling (you can bet on your opponents horses!), on another board (actually the reverse of the two boards) which appears equally complicated, has as many 'chance' cards and can result in the best trained, richest, most points-holding horse coming last!

I guess it is supposed to be called/pronounced Toe-Top'poly (as in The Tote [based] Monopoly) rather than the ToT-op-oley I've always used, but don't take my word for it!

Whatever its pronunciation and however impossible it is to play, it seems to have sold well for many years, with the result that the horses can be found in lead, die-cast Mazac and plastic, and as such; regularly turn-up in mixed lots, bags, boxes or handful's of oddments, usually incomplete.

To add to all the other elements, mechanisms and compilations in play; the horses are weighted, with blacks most likely to win, blues least likely to win!

So when I saw this set going cheap in a charity-shop the other say, I grabbed the opportunity to have a complete run of twelve, to add to all the part-sets I have in storage. And yes, the missing black-leg is in the gluing queue!

We will return to this one day, just to compare the various other versions, and indeed; all the other board-game racing-horses, of which there are plenty!

No comments: