About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Ph is for Phollow-up to Phidel

Eager to see what TJ had taken delivery of, the other side of the pond from TK, Brain B took himself-off to the local outlet, and was sadly disappointed - no Marvel, no DC! However, he took his usual plethora of shelfies and fired them off to Small Scale World Towers, and it is them we are going to meander through now.

The Disney Princess is a sort of collective sub-brand, bringing various otherwise unrelated young ladies together under one heading, and there's some useful items in this set. The Mermaid looks familiar, although I don't have one here, and I didn't think Phidel had been doing these for that long, but . . .

. . . since the TKMaxx purchase and subsequent Blog post the other day I have been seeing them everywhere, or when I say everywhere, there have been at least five in the various charity-shops in town in the last week or so.

Some of which have been these, semi-flats with suckers on, that can be attached to the glossy board pages, also while looking on feebleBay I think I've seen magnetic versions as well? There's also the added element of a board-game included.

New one on me, assuming from the Nicolodeon flash that it's a kid's TV thing; less of use by the looks of it, but when they come in - in mixed lots - at least you'll know where they came from!

Also missed this, but from the number of MLP things in shops at the moment I'm guessing there's been a recent movie!

Squeeky-voiced mouse and friends, take'em or leave'em they will enhance all those 1970/80's Heimo, Schleich, Comics Spain and latterly Applause, Bully & the French Poly-whatsit figures!

And! Because it contains both Pluto and Goofy, you can arrange your own anachronistic vignette on the bookshelf, of an anthropomorphic, talking-dog in human cloths, leading a dumb-idiot dog around on a lead!

I bought one of the sets I encountered this week, incomplete it looks like a shotgun-wedding photograph for a very strange coupling! "Well; OK, I'll marry you, but only if our kids can be page-snowmen!" They were only 50p! Box went in the recycling before it was photographed and there is a second, different Frozen set out there - That's 14 different snowmen!

I've also discovered WHSmith are carrying them - they had a really nice Spiderman set, but they want £9.99 ($12.50'ish?) for theirs against the £5.99 (8-odd dollars) of TKMaxx!

I don't know why anyone actually patronises WHS, they are pricier on everything than their rivals, here we have WHS and Ryman's next door to each other and you can compare in seconds; it's not that WHS are a bit more, they are 10, 25, 50% more - every time! From books to Biro's, calendars to Christmas-cards, Ryman's, Clintons, Partners - all cheaper . . . probably not Paperchase though!

The next five images are further-cropped close-ups of the 'goody' trays from Brain's above imagery.

The woman with a bow & arrow looks very useful for fantasy stuff, and as they all have flowing dresses they may all be useful for those Napoleonic ballroom scenes which used to be de rigueur in modelling mag's a couple of decades or so ago!

Flats - with suckers . . . sorry; 'suction-cups'!

Is the peacock a worthy addition to a poultry collection, or a daftly cartoonish sculpt? The others seem to be half-Aladdin, half Powerpuff Girls!

I think the foxy-gentleman is my favourite in this lot.

Chipmunks! Donald Duck! Some other stuff . . .

Cheers Brian! We're really getting the hang of these now and they're good value for money, there are about five Superhero-sets out there, hopefully we'll get them all on here in the near future?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my local TKM has the princess set and its vrey good!!! J.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Annon; So had mine, but the other superhero one had gone! Someone didn't go to Bracknell! Doh!

H