About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

T is for Toy Fair '18 Reports - Oxford Diecast - Military Trains

Under their Oxford Rail sub-brand, Oxford Diecast had some interesting things on show and/or in their Catalogue, so they will get two Show Reports! This is the 'rail-report' and it's the Military stuff I'm concentrating on here.

A Class 2533 locomotive (0-6-0 Saddle Tank Loco - I think!) in World War One War Department scheme, this is the better-looking equivalent of the old Tri-Ang/Hornby 'Battle Space' loco we looked at ages ago and is a prerequisite for hauling your 'trooper', or getting your Flanders-bound defence-stores or supplies down to the South Coast!

Or

A Class 2533 locomotive (0-6-0 Saddle Tank Loco - I think!) in World War Two War Department scheme, this is the better-looking equivalent of the old Tri-Ang/Hornby 'Battle Space' loco we looked at ages ago and is a prerequisite for hauling your 'trooper', or getting your D-Day build-up supplies down to the South Coast!

It's not clear and - to be honest - the wars were close enough together for it to not matter much?

It has a choice of WD and civilian Warwell Wagons to tow.Which shows how out of touch with model railways I am, I used to call them 'Well Wagons'? Anyway, two of the military ones (with and without a mid-war, cast-turret, welded-hull, Sherman tank - short 76mm barrel), come with different rolling-stock numbers which is a nice touch.

A third military one has a steam engine road-roller with another set of wagon-markings and there's a three-pack of separately numbered WD Warwell's to boot! So a troop of three tanks on un-matching flats (wells?) is attainable for the modeller, or a full train with six wagons. Detail is far better than the old Triang ones I've been collecting over the years.

And then there are theses two behemoths to be towed-about the place!

I didn't ask the kind lady about the difference between the two examples (one having a six-sided barrel, the other - apparently - 12-facets), but I think the difference in barrels may be down to which type of 3D-printer you happen to have, as they were planned for the ready-to-run range, both the likely price pushed them to a download option mid-project - still ongoing!

A close-up reveals the tell-tale lines of 3D-Printing; but they can be mostly hidden with 'crack-filler' auto-primer, or careful applications of modelling-filler with scraps of plasticard, and then a decent paint-job.

I'm guessing the railings and ducted wiring-loom have to be 'provided by the modeller'? But most of the other small pieces should be part of the print?

The now dated catalogue entry, for more information on this Rail Gun thereis a site with few details. but it's supposed to be becoming a download , whether the train packs will still go ahead without the gun or not I don't know, but from the blurb, I'm guessing one would set the gun's scene in WWI the other; bring it forward to the WWII era?

Calibre seems to be pretty unique for an artillery-piece, being '24 Tommies'!

No comments: