About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

D is for Dancing Loons

Definitely a title we've had before, probably for this lot . . . or their UN stable-mates! The other, kinder, expression would be 'over ambitious animation'! Yet they are quite nice figures, just a bit OTT and equipped with the ever-anachronistic EM2 weapon, or at least three of them are!

1:32nd Scale Figures, 54mm Toy Soldiers, Cherilea Plastic, Early British Toys; EM2 Bullpup Assault Rifle, Polymer Figurine, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Soldier Toy Soldiers Of Post War Infantry, Made In Britain In The 1960's
The grenade thrower hasn't got a weapon at all, but then when you learn to throw grenades while ice-skating; I would imagine a weapon would play merry-hell with your balance!

The running guy on the other-hand is a reasonable pose, running forward with a gate that if looked at closely suggests he's gone too far forward to get the other leg back in time and is seconds-way from a muddy head-plant!

Stabby-guy is clearly tackling the knee of a cyclops, or King Kong!

1:32nd Scale Figures, 54mm Toy Soldiers, Cherilea Plastic, Early British Toys; EM2 Bullpup Assault Rifle, Polymer Figurine, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Soldier Toy Soldiers Of Post War Infantry, Made In Britain In The 1960's
The forth pose is in a blind panic and running from something that would certainly give you nightmares where I to divulge its finer details to you; so I won't, but think Cloverfield . . . with bigger claws!

I used to assume (as a small-scale collector) that there must be 6 or 8 (or more) of these given the usual set counts of Cherilea, then I spent a good few years thinking there were five for some reason, or no good reason. However I believe that when Dorset (or whoever) put the mould back in production a few years ago, there were only the four?

1:32nd Scale Figures, 54mm Toy Soldiers, Cherilea Plastic, Early British Toys; EM2 Bullpup Assault Rifle, Polymer Figurine, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Soldier Toy Soldiers Of Post War Infantry, Made In Britain In The 1960's
Of which the first three (above) are mine, these other six were shot at a show somewhere, sometime, and the left-hand two of these pairs were duplicates then, showing the variety of plastic 'base-colour' and the fact that they are all flecked.

I wonder if these weren't the same thing to Cherilea as the Super Deetail were to Britains - a bit of an experiment? Which is not to say Cherilea hadn't used flecking before, but . . . they're an odd lot?

1:32nd Scale Figures, 54mm Toy Soldiers, Cherilea Plastic, Early British Toys; EM2 Bullpup Assault Rifle, Polymer Figurine, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Soldier Toy Soldiers Of Post War Infantry, Made In Britain In The 1960's
I picked these two up at Witton in May, I might have already added to the other three (in storage) but don't think so, which means I'm still looking for terrified running bloke!

I don't know what's happening with pinky-mauve chap, the other is in a sensible brown scheme, and all of them (including the green-painted one at the top) follow the painting of the 50mm set with the various piracies, maybe these replaced them, or were pencilled-in for the task?

2 comments:

CounterFett said...

You know, I've long looked for a rational explanation for the overhead bayonet pose. Since that's such a terrible pose for actually fighting with a bayonet. The only thing I can make up to make me happy about it is that it's supposed to represent fording some water and trying to keep the rifle dry. You see a few pics of that from WWII landings or Vietnam paddies.

This excuse works better for the Timmee version of the pose, where he's fairly relaxed looking. As you say, this guy is overly animated, so he MIGHT be fighting Mothra.

Hugh Walter said...

Mothra! That would work! Maybe he's just trying to get a mouse out of his biscuit cupboard?!!!

Cheers CounterFett!

H