About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

B is for Best Buy - Big Block of Badly Behaved Bear

I picked this up in a Charity shop a few weeks ago, I grabbed it because I thought it looked quite 2,000 Leagues Under the Sea 'ish, and the lady behind the counter commented that sometimes she wondered if something so quirky was going to sell immediately (It hadn't been there the day before) or sit on the shelf for an age, I didn't think it was that quirky, and assuming a fish-tank ornament went on my way, with my bargain wrapped in tissue-paper, well pleased!

80mm Figurine, Bear in Diving Suit, Cartoon Bear, Deep Sea Diver, Deep Sea Divers, Diver Figures, Diver Figurines, Diving Bear, Fish Tank Ornament, Plastic Diver Ornament, Plastic Novelty, Polyurethane Resin, Poured Resin Casting, PU Resin, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Toy Divers,
But when I got home and un-wrapped it it became obvious that some of the helmet 'detailing' I hadn't given any attention to was, in actual fact - the riveted-on 'helmet-spaces' for a pair of ears . . . WTF?! Luckily; not squeaky-voiced mouse sized . . . phew!

80mm Figurine, Bear in Diving Suit, Cartoon Bear, Deep Sea Diver, Deep Sea Divers, Diver Figures, Diver Figurines, Diving Bear, Fish Tank Ornament, Plastic Diver Ornament, Plastic Novelty, Polyurethane Resin, Poured Resin Casting, PU Resin, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Toy Divers,
Some close-ups showing the markings (a bear logo - with his tongue out?), the classic or standard three-finger 'cartoon' hand, odd belt-equipment and vicious, double-barbed, curved under-blade harpoon!

Does anyone know anything about a deep-sea diving bear, armed and liable to stick his tongue out? Best find since the Toy Soldier show in May!

28mm War Gaming Figure, 54mm Toy Soldiers, Metal Figures, 54mm Diver Model, 28mm Diver Figure, Role Play Piece, Toy Divers
Terranova sent a shot of three more; real synergy as he didn't know I had the bearskin-diver (heh-heh!), which is above. The large one looks to be a fish-tank ornament, but looking at the PVC  pipe, possibly a filter or aerator disguised by the diver 'shell'? It also looks to be about the size of my bear, but in polystyrene, and seems to be several parts (the rocks and coral being undecorated, flecked mouldings?) with a clip-on helmet and over-belt & braces.

Brian is actually after the ID of the middle figure which is a metal casting around 54mm, can anyone help him with a name? It looks a bit too flat-painted for someone like King & Country and I'm not sure what he's holding but it looks like maybe a deck-gun or something?

The small one is another 25/25mm war-games/role-playing figure (see yesterdays post on Space Invaders!) and I'd be interested in an ID.

80mm Figurine, Bear in Diving Suit, Cartoon Bear, Deep Sea Diver, Deep Sea Divers, Diver Figures, Diver Figurines, Diving Bear, Fish Tank Ornament, Plastic Diver Ornament, Plastic Novelty, Polyurethane Resin, Poured Resin Casting, PU Resin, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Toy Divers,
Return to bear-man-diver-bloke-teddy! I think he's prizing-open a rusted door or forcing the lid off a treasure chest rather than attacking someone, but you never know! Perhaps he's preparing to repel Captain Nemo's men, as he clearly isn't one of them; he's got half-moon ears!

No comments: