About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

H is for How They Come In - One Day in July . . . 2014!

Another day's purchases, this from a trip to Basingrad in July 2014, and we've had articles here on most of it, but I'm clearing Picasa with these posts you know!

1 Mixed Plastic Toy And Model Figures DSCN6624 5200; Bar Scene; BJ Toys; Blue Sky; Lego Bricks; Lego Simpsons; Merit; Model Scene; Noch; Pullbay Pencil Racers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Team GB; The Hobbit; The Simpsons; TV Characters; TV Related; Unpainted Passengers & Station Staff;
The Noch bar set and the Model Scene came from the Church Street model shop, the skydivers and the pencil/eraser/sharpener set both came from The Works I think, not sure about the Team GB Olympic clearance thing (the now defunct 99p Stores?), while the blind-bag dino's and Hobbit stuff was also The Works I suspect.

The Bart Simpson was a blind-bag from WHSmith's or someone similar - it may have been reduced in Tesco, but it was a while ago!

2 The Hobbit Desolation Of Smaug TV Movie Plastic Toy Figures Blind Bag DSCN5829 Lucky Dip; Movie Promotional; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; TV Character; TV Related; TV Tie Ins; TV Toys;
Can't remember if we looked at these here, or another pair, also I think these and the dino's may have been bought in another Works a week earlier and just hung-around to end-up in the same collective shot?

Much covered elsewhere, so I won't bore you with the minutiae, there were differences between the first and second series' plastic colours I seem to recall, and these are 2nd series I think?

3 5200 Unpainted Rail Staff And Passenger Set Modelscene Merit Toy Model Plastic Railway Sceneoic Accessory Set DSCN6964-001 Models; Railway Scenics; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unpainted Passengers & Station Staff;
The naming of the parts! This has been sat in Picasa waiting for god-knows-what post, but I thought the way the bare runner was arranged in the blister made it ideal for labelling-up, if only to illustrate the difference between the 'Sprue' (missing in most kits/figure packs) and the 'Runners' which a lot of people refer-to as sprue, and a few idiots lesser mortals [I must stop insulting everyone] call sprew, sproo or spru!

Some kits, in the past, have had sprue left on; early Aurora, Pyro and Revell-Monogram type model-kits often included them while some of the late-production, unpainted Starlux 40mm in the 'figure set' boxes were packed with the sprue intact, in both cases (old kits and later figures) the sprue had a tendency to damage the box/box-art over time by wearing a hole/working through the card.

The reason the actual sprue ends-up cone-shaped is because it stretches as it's pulled away from the still-hot injector head during the removal of the runners/product from the mould-tool.

2 comments:

Terranova47 said...

Thank you for clarifying Sprue from Tree, Branches, Gates and Product.

I for one always thought the Tree was part of the Sprue, the Gates are a new one to me.

Hugh, between your 'rants' this is the kind of informative knowledge that lifts Small Scale World above other blogs.

Hugh Walter said...

'Between' the rants Terra? I thought it was all about the rants . . Doh!

Cheers!
H