About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

M is for Morestone's Modern Product Mars Mission Morris & Stone Men!

As you may have gathered from the title or already knew, Modern Products was an early incarnation of what would ultimately become Budgie, best known for their die-cast toy vehicles, motorcycles and wagons.

A Modern Product; Astronauts; Budgie Models; Budgie Toys; Cosmonauts; Esso; Milton; Mobile; Modern; Morestone; Morris & Stone; Plastic Astronauts; Plastic Cosmonauts; Plastic Spacemen; Plastic Toy Figures; Polyethylene Toy Figures; Seener Ltd.; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Spacemen; Starcourt Ltd.;
Yet these are made of a nice stable, slightly soapy polyethylene, unlike the supposedly later cowboys (seen on the Blog back at the start) who are in a brittle, chalky, 'early British' polyethylene, so I would be tempted to suggest these came along after the Modern Products branding had actually been dropped, or that my version are a late re-issue by Starcourt Ltd., who ended-up with the Budgie tools/mould-bank?

A Modern Product; Astronauts; Budgie Models; Budgie Toys; Cosmonauts; Esso; Milton; Mobile; Modern; Morestone; Morris & Stone; Plastic Astronauts; Plastic Cosmonauts; Plastic Spacemen; Plastic Toy Figures; Polyethylene Toy Figures; Seener Ltd.; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Spacemen; Starcourt Ltd.;
I don't know why I know they are Morestone (Morris & Stone), but I have firmly marked their card thus, so it's likely they've been in Plastic Warrior magazine (link) in the past and I got it from there? So - equally - I don't know how many there are pose-wise, I have three with the fourth a duplicate pose in another colour and they were among my first true 54mm figures, bought at the BP Fairs NEC Birmingham show in 2009/10 sometime.

I've had a quick look on Alphadrome but they don't seem to have them and Google also failed, so these may be new to the Wibbly Wobbly Way, but there must be at least a fourth pose out there?

A Modern Product; Astronauts; Budgie Models; Budgie Toys; Cosmonauts; Esso; Milton; Mobile; Modern; Morestone; Morris & Stone; Plastic Astronauts; Plastic Cosmonauts; Plastic Spacemen; Plastic Toy Figures; Polyethylene Toy Figures; Seener Ltd.; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Spacemen; Starcourt Ltd.;
You can clearly see the A Modern Product branding on the upper-side of the base, and he looks like he may have been manufactured for the 'de rigueur' fitting of a clear-plastic helmet as per- most of his contemporaries, but again; I don't know that for sure?

The weirdest thing about them (look again) is that they all seem to have been sponsored on their intergalactic challenge by Honda motorcycles! Even to a - blank - text-box below the eagle's wing where you would normally find Honda's moniker.

No comments: