About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, November 12, 2018

C is for Caryatids

Caryatids are a specific form of column, used in Classical Greece and to a lesser extent in Rome, where the main body of the column is carved into a human figure, usually female I think, but some males exist (as 'Atlas' . . . architecture stuff is all in the garage!), and occasionally only half-columns (like relief-flats) coming forward from a load-bearing wall, due to their being less able to take weight, but a small temple with a relatively light roof, or a porch for a small building have whole caryatids - I think there's one among the ruins on the hill-side at the Acropolis.

Bottle With Four Caryatids; Caryatid; Columns; Four Caryatids; Greek Columns; Greek Statue; Greek Vintage Novelty; Maiden Ouzo Bottle; Miniature; Miniature Bottle; Novelties; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Miniature; Old Plastic Novelty; Ouzo Bottle; Ouzounis Maiden Ouzo; Ouzounis Miniature Bottle; Plastic Vintage Novelty; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Plastic;
The TARDIS Temple to Aphrodite! Hic!

My mate John Begg - who some of you will know has links to Greece - had one of these on his mantelpiece as a memento, and when he was visiting Greece I asked him if he could get me one, empty or full of ouzo. . . a couple of weeks later he gave me this; empty, sadly!

I had intended to undo the caryatids and hot-glue them (polyethylene!) back to back to make two full-round columns, as photo-accessories/scenics. Two of the faces would have needed to be turned into hair, and a fair bit of fettling and filling would have been required around the join-line, the whole then needing painting, but in the end I didn't have the heart to damage them, so it is still in its little bag, marked Ouzounis 'Maiden Ouzo'!

All polyethylene; I hope you can see from the photo's the 'miniature' bottle is a blow-mould with the wide shoulders on top of the flocked 'box', the caryatids come as a flattish moulding with thin hinge-joints between the figures allowing it/them to be wrapped around the 'box' and clipped into place, the clips are under the stickers somewhere, if they exist; the stickers may be the 'clips', the column bases also become the bottom of the bottle and the figures are 45/50mm?

No comments: