About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

C is for Clowning Around

When we looked at the 'Crazy Clown Circus' a while ago, I mentioned the fact that there was a die-cast penny-farthing from Morestone (Budgie) with a similar clown, and had the good fortune to shoot one at the weekend on Adrian Little's stand at the Sandown Park toy fair at the weekend;

Bicycle Decoration; Bicycles; Budgie Models; Budgie Toys; Clown Figurine; Clowning Dog; Clowning Figure; Cyclist; Die Cast Toy; Mazac; Mazac-Alloy Clown and Cycle; Morestone; Penny Fathing; Penny-Farthing; Perfoming Dog; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Toy Bicycle; Toy Dog; Zamac; Zamak;
You can see he has all the elements of the crazy clowns with the bobbles on the trousers, the collar-ruff, the pair of juggling balls, the bobble-hat and the wide tops to the trouser legs (I haven't the faintest idea what they are called in the fashion trade, but they're like old cavalry trousers?).

Now I don't think the polymer ones are a direct copy (I did at the time of the previous post), but suspect both toys are reflecting a specific clown 'suit', clowns often being registered as unique designs, while more generic or traditional designs are named within clowning, or wider afield, like 'Pierrot' for instance, from the commedia dell'arte, but I don't know the name of this one

This near mint example has a little dog; lacking on previous examples I've seen, although the dog can't reach the peddles and the clown is too busy with his balls (ooh-err missus!) to get peddling (and wouldn't reach either, so issues of/with both scale and perambulation!), making a rather static piece, but charming nevertheless, and would it go well as an additional item with an actual Crazy Clown Circus!

04-04-2019 - Which are now known to be from Fraser & Glass (F&G).

No comments: