About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

C is for Creative Crafts

Actually 'Unknown Hong Kong' via Star Plastics Inc., of New York, but Creative Crafts made a better title! And it wouldn't be here without the act of Schell's Flowers from Pennsylvania ordering the thing into stock all those years ago and flogging it to whoever then decided never to use it!

7 Years War; 7YW; American Revolution; American War of Independence; Archibald Willard; AWI; Cake Decoration Figures; Cake Decorations; Creative Crafts; Men of '76; New York; Old Cake Decorations; Old Plastic Figures; Old Toy Soldiers; Pennsylvania; Schell's Flowers; Seven Years War; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Spirit of '76; Star Plastics Inc.; Unknown Hong Kong; Vintage Cake Decorations; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Plastic Soldiers;
It's funny, I never ask for contributions or donations, they get forwarded by those who are kind enough to do so (for which I'm always very grateful), but I did - in a roundabout way - ask for the large Award Toys set of Spirit of '76 figures we saw here, while actually trying to find the cake decoration ones.

I then found the 40mm set (with bases) and Mr Nevin then sent us shots of another set of these (which were in storage!), as a follow-up,. They looked a bit larger because they are, these are 50mm, and as I suggested last time are vinyl, quite a soft PVC, which now leaves me looking for the set Chris Goddard originally sent to Plastic Warrior magazine, who are baseless (like these) but 45mm-up and hard plastic (like the 2nd set to appear here), when I do; we'll look at all four sets together!

7 Years War; 7YW; American Revolution; American War of Independence; Archibald Willard; AWI; Cake Decoration Figures; Cake Decorations; Creative Crafts; Men of '76; New York; Old Cake Decorations; Old Plastic Figures; Old Toy Soldiers; Pennsylvania; Schell's Flowers; Seven Years War; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Spirit of '76; Star Plastics Inc.; Unknown Hong Kong; Vintage Cake Decorations; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Plastic Soldiers;
The main difference between this set and the other three (known sets?) is that while the others all make the boy drummer smaller than the other two, in this set he is the same size. At the moment, that's three down - one to go!

Further to the previous posts, the US cake decorating market DID get blue-coat versions of the redcoats, whether this means my fanciful scenario holds any water or not is for the birds, but I did nearly get a set a while ago, and keep my eye out for a cheap lot.

They also have at least two versions of Betsy Ross (the flag-lady), neither of which seems to have made it to these shores, the inference being we got redcoats, not as a connection with the AWI, but because the HK maker wanted to shift as much product as possible and small boys - in those days - liked toy soldiers on their cake!

No comments: