About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, November 8, 2018

M is for Magnetic Miniatures

I can't remember if we've had this on the blog or not, but I shot it (again?) in passing the other day, so here it is, clearly a magnetic novelty like the coffin skeletons, naked bath/bed ladies, kissing couples or sarcophagus Pharaoh, there's only one problem . . . it doesn't work!

25mm Toy Figures; Bull Fighter; Bullfighter; Hong Kong; Hong Kong Novelty; Made in Hong Kong; Magnet Toys; Magnetic Miniature; Magnetic Novelty; Magnetic Toy; Novelties; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Plastic Toy; Novelty Toy; Plastic Toy Bullfighter; Polystyrene Toys; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Spanish Bull Fighter; Torro;
The trope is either that the bullfighter is supposed to chase the bull around, or drag him around, depending on the polarity of the magnets, but actually they do nothing and I know why; both magnets have lost their magnetism!

25mm Toy Figures; Bull Fighter; Bullfighter; Hong Kong; Hong Kong Novelty; Made in Hong Kong; Magnet Toys; Magnetic Miniature; Magnetic Novelty; Magnetic Toy; Novelties; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Plastic Toy; Novelty Toy; Plastic Toy Bullfighter; Polystyrene Toys; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Spanish Bull Fighter; Torro;
There are two versions, unmarked on the left of each pair and marked Hong Kong on figure and cloth (right-hand), but these two - who both have their magnets clearly visible - don’t affect each other nor a needle I tried them on.

The magnetic material is that rubberised sheet used for travel-chess and draughts sets back in the 1970's and some early fridge magnets, which you may have discovered are also starting to fall off and not go back on!

25mm Toy Figures; Bull Fighter; Bullfighter; Hong Kong; Hong Kong Novelty; Made in Hong Kong; Magnet Toys; Magnetic Miniature; Magnetic Novelty; Magnetic Toy; Novelties; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Plastic Toy; Novelty Toy; Plastic Toy Bullfighter; Polystyrene Toys; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Spanish Bull Fighter; Torro;
As a result of this loss of magic-power, and because the bull is two firmly-glued halves, I can't even say with certainty if there is a magnet in it, whether it's toward the front or to the rear or - therefore - even if it's the correct animal! It came with the marked man, and is equally well-marked so I'm confident enough in myself, but without packaging (empirical evidence!) you'll have to judge your own call from the pathetically non-magnetic evidence!

Might I be able to 're-charge' it/them with a really big magnet? Airfix Guardsman scaler

06th June 2020 - they are credited to a Chemtoy in the states, but were probably sold by many outfits as a bought-in novelty? 

No comments: