About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, December 3, 2018

P is for Plastic Planet Playset

I can remember when I bough these, but not the exact date (it should be in the folders somewhere?), they were in a corner-shop/convenience store on the Bellfields estate at the bottom of Guildford between about '97/98 and 2001/3'ish! I was just really pleased to find small scale 'traditional' rack-toys in a shop, with figures AND space stuff!

25mm Action Figures; 25mm Space Figures; Action Fleet; AT-ST; Flying Saucer Toy; Galoob Star Wars; Matchbox Megarigs; Mega Rigs; Mega-Rigs; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Machines; Space Planet Playset; Space Playset; Space Station; Space Warriors; Spacemen; Spaceship; Star Wars; Tomy Zoids; Toy Flying Saucer; UFO; Unidentified Space Toys; Walker Robot;
Carded blister, clearly aimed as a knock-off for the Galoob Star Wars Action Fleet, Matchbox Mega-Rig or Playmates Star Trek stuff of that time. They are also channelling a bit of Games Workshop I think? Little/mini action-figures, with two points of articulation; hips and shoulders; they are around the 25mm mark.

25mm Action Figures; 25mm Space Figures; Action Fleet; AT-ST; Flying Saucer Toy; Galoob Star Wars; Matchbox Megarigs; Mega Rigs; Mega-Rigs; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Machines; Space Planet Playset; Space Playset; Space Station; Space Warriors; Spacemen; Spaceship; Star Wars; Tomy Zoids; Toy Flying Saucer; UFO; Unidentified Space Toys; Walker Robot;
I think they were a quid each and the shop had two 'assortments' so I bought one of each, opened one (below) and kept the other in the blister, the little flitter/flyer thing looks a bit like that Waltii Industries machine the Blog reported-on way back, clearly a  poplar configuration/design in the rim-worlds!

25mm Action Figures; 25mm Space Figures; Action Fleet; AT-ST; Flying Saucer Toy; Galoob Star Wars; Matchbox Megarigs; Mega Rigs; Mega-Rigs; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Machines; Space Planet Playset; Space Playset; Space Station; Space Warriors; Spacemen; Spaceship; Star Wars; Tomy Zoids; Toy Flying Saucer; UFO; Unidentified Space Toys; Walker Robot;
Play value is achieved by lots of little ball-&-socket jointed 'greebles' which have to be carefully packed-away to make the lid close, but otherwise can be moved about and swapped between locations - the influence of other toy lines can be seen, there's a bit of Tom Zoids in the twin-tailed thing - for instance.

If you leave it shut, glue it all rigid and paint it up, it would make an excellent space-station in 1:300 or 1:600, or an even bigger excellent space-station in 1:1200 if you happen to game in those scales.

25mm Action Figures; 25mm Space Figures; Action Fleet; AT-ST; Flying Saucer Toy; Galoob Star Wars; Matchbox Megarigs; Mega Rigs; Mega-Rigs; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Machines; Space Planet Playset; Space Playset; Space Station; Space Warriors; Spacemen; Spaceship; Star Wars; Tomy Zoids; Toy Flying Saucer; UFO; Unidentified Space Toys; Walker Robot;
I wish I'd bough a second set of the 'walker' version when I saw them, as I'd like to paint this up, but won't as it's the only one I have! Although before painting it I'd remove the cannons on the hip-joints, there just isn't room for walking-gear, self levelling gear AND the aiming, firing and ammo-gear in those leg-tops! And NOT an AT-ST at all, no, no, no!

No maker or obvious branding on the packaging or items.

2 comments:

ZtntZCollections said...

Nowadays i found my walker + starship, it´s so rare. I only found info about this right here. Thanks so much.

Hugh Walter said...

Glad it helped!

H