About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A is for Answer . . . from the Antipodes!

I may have mentioned a parcel from Mr. Sibbald down there in New Zealand? He actually sent four 'things' to the blog, three of which will be Blogged over the next week or two, and while the other things involved multiples of figures; the fourth 'thing' was this single figure, but how useful he turned-out to be:

He's pink . . . he must be Pink!

It's the missing colour from the unknown board-game set I couldn't find in the recent past despite trying various search terms on both Google and feebleBay. But as soon as I saw it (and I may have posited pink as one of the possible colours of the missing figure) I knew where to look.

Not only did the pink give it away, a quick look at the other's revealed the red, blue and brown to look confirmatory familiar, and I eMailed Glenn the same day to say I was sure they came from the Minimodels plant in Havent, as they match some of the figures from the 'Cops and Robbers' Sweeny-branded and Geronimo's Treasure games.

Sir Geldoff of Boomtown auditions for Boyzone!

So it was straight to Boardgamegeek, for searches of Berwick, Condor, Omnia, Tri-Ang, and err . . . the other one . . . Ariel! Nothing! Not a sausage, definitely not a guitarist! So I went to feebleBay and tried Pop Band, Pop Star, Rock Band and Rock Star, Band, Guitar Player and Guitarist (including all the usual Board Game, Vintage, Old, Plastic and Toy Figure prefixes or suffixes). . . some results were too long to be faffed-with, others drew a blank.

I was getting worried; I'd promised Glenn that by the time he read my eMail - which I'd sent in what was the middle of the night down there - I'd know the name of the game and it was beginning to look like I'd drawn a blank . . . again!

"One more note of Tar-rar-rah-boom-di-ay
and you'll be an ex-guitarist mate!"

But discovering in the course of these searches that Waddington's carried versions of some of the games carried by the other companies above - presumably as Waddington's bought them out - and remembering that Waddington's ended-up with the Subbuteo system also linked to Havent through the supply of the Stadden-designed figures, I thought I'd try Waddington's as a search subject.

I tried Waddington's Rock . . . nothing, Waddington's Star (as in rock or pop-star) . . . still nothing, finally Waddington's Pop (obvious; but it took me five or ten minutes to try it!) and BINGO! Two, near-mint, for sale as of last Friday;

Mike Reid's Pop Quiz, 60mm, polystyrene, six board-game pieces, Minimodels for Waddington's, probably, also, a Stadden sculpt?

I don't know, but suspect it might have been sold under other names/titles in other places where Waddington's operated (Oz, NZ, South Africa?) as Mike Reid wouldn't have been known outside the UK, being a British radio DJ!

Anyway; mystery solved . . . thanks to- and thanks; Glenn!

4 comments:

SpaceToyer said...

The image https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t07JbULr2p4/XDzs07KhkXI/AAAAAAAAY1k/-yoaI3BXiz0-kvFJzt1UZ_7jwnFigKo6wCLcBGAs/s1600/3%2B60mm%2BPlastic%2BFigure%2BMike%2BRied%2527s%2BPop%2BQuiz%2BWaddingtons%2BMinimodels%2BBoard%2BGame%2BPiece%2BPink%2BDSCN9499.JPG reminds me of an Italian song of Gianni Morandi: "C'era un ragazzo che come me" - https://www.antiwarsongs.org/confronta.php?id=42&ver=42&lang=en

Hugh Walter said...

SpaceToyer - It's from Pink Floyd 'The Wall' . . . Goodby Blue Sky;

Look mummy, there's an aeroplane up in the sky

Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooohoooh!

Did, did, did you see the frightened ones?
Did, did, did you hear the falling bombs?
Did, did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?

Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooohoooh!

Did, did, did you see the frightened ones?
Did, did, did you hear the falling bombs?
The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on

Goodbye, blue sky
Goodbye, blue sky
Goodbye
Goodbye....

...The eleven fifteen from Newcastle is now appro...


H

SpaceToyer said...

Hugh - Yup: different songs, similar concept... :-)
ST

Hugh Walter said...

War's crap, but war's coming . . .

H