About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

A is for Archive - Titan Toys 'Fun Fings'

We're looking at a scan from a catalogue from the 2007 Toy Fair at Excel, London, here I think, although it could be a few years earlier, but with the next show on the 22nd of this month it seems like a good time to get it out there!

Originally I used to go on a PW ticket, that year I went in my capacity as head of toys at an Internet auction drop-shop outfit (I was head of fuck-all and least said - soonest forgotten, but I did manage to get the junior staff their holiday and sick benefits!), and a few years ago I went as someone else when they sent me the wrong pass (I hope he also went - as me!), last year I snuck in on Peter's pass again!

But this year I will be representing the Small Scale World's Press Office! Oh-yes . . . we have a press officer now - it's me, that's why your emails are never answered on time; Perhaps I should do a FUC's page; Frequently Un-answered Correspondence!

Titan Toys' corporate company hyperbole aside (they look like many other ranges of rack-toys going back to the sixties, even to the boy/girl/neutral colour-coding), they seem to be plugging a new display-rack (dollar tree) which has been grafted to an office-chair!

It's a low-res three-colour image, but we can see . . .

. . . clockwise from top left; mini trains (sans track, most of this type of rack toy give you a circle or oval of track?)*; The Supreme/SP Toys-supplied sets we looked at here; a substantial-looking (for a rack-toy) stunt cycle with jump and a set of those larger farm animals with their peculiar purple-browns and mauve-greys which are starting to become a common part of mixed-lots and charity-shop bags. I didn't crop-out the lizard as he's obvious in the previous image.

* As their (Titan's) own, near contemporary, Cargo Express Train Set did!

No comments: