About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

K is for Knotty Ash

It's only a real place, somewhere near Liverpool [and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!], home of the late, great Ken Dodd . . . that's Sir 'Doddy' to you! Who was also responsible for the Diddy Men, except, err . . . he wasn't! But he did give them form, and the form is the subject of this box-ticker.

80mm Figurine; 90mm Figures; Birmingham; Caricatures; Cartoon Character; Cartoon Mascot; Cherilea Plastic Figures; Cherilea Toy Figures; Cherilea Toy Figurines; Comical Figures; Diddy Man; Diddy Men; Diddymen; Doddy; Doddy's Diddy Men; Ken Dodd; Knotty Ash; Notty Ashe; Sir Ken Dodd; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; TV Characters; TV Related; TV Tie Ins; TV Toys;
Covered a while ago by Colin Penn in Plastic Warrior magazine (issue 147/2012), from who's article I discovered that they are actually a part of local folk-lore in the area, and that these figures (manufactured by Cherilea) don't represent any specific/named-character from TV or the stage shows . . . for more than that you'll have to read the mag'. As it happens - I think they are at least partly-based on the vinyl 6"-single's artwork?

What I would also add though, is that I don't think these are quite as rare as some prices would have you believe. Having seen a fair-few sets over the years, there's usually at least one full group being offered at the PW show - for instance; I feel they turn-up pretty often, usually as a full set of four.

80mm Figurine; 90mm Figures; Birmingham; Caricatures; Cartoon Character; Cartoon Mascot; Cherilea Plastic Figures; Cherilea Toy Figures; Cherilea Toy Figurines; Comical Figures; Diddy Man; Diddy Men; Diddymen; Doddy; Doddy's Diddy Men; Ken Dodd; Knotty Ash; Notty Ashe; Sir Ken Dodd; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; TV Characters; TV Related; TV Tie Ins; TV Toys;
 Mine were a cheapie (50p each I seem to recall) from a charity shop back in 2011, where they were for sale with the ornaments and nick-nacks, not the toys, presumably because they'd come into the shop with a job lot of such 'white elephant' stuff?  It's my suspicion that many survive in precisely that role? It's the same area of the shops I find my larger Fontanini's or Carrara statuettes when I see them.

Note also: they are quite dapper gentlemen, with each wearing some kind of neck apparel and a hat, along with either-and-or a waistcoat n' braces, and they are all in possession of a pair of spats, very-much 'the men about town'!

2 comments:

Terranova47 said...

Somewhere Near Birmingham? Get out your Atlas Hugh.

Hugh Walter said...

Hahahahahah! Those Northern accents . . . oooops!

Did you here that? That was the sound of several readers throwing their breakfast at the cat and calling me a [expletive deleted] which was nice!

I'll edit!

Cheers Brian

H