About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

LP is for LB - Part 3 - NAS'Astronauts!

This was going to be a five-parter, but there's not a lot to add by looking at the small versions of this morning's two sets, so as a box-ticking 'closure' we'll look briefly at the later (?) addition to the range,  (all two of them!) and call it a day for now.

Almost exclusively cake-decorations, although they did appear in the larger 1970's boxed sets, I used to use a big'ole question-mark with them when ascribing them to the company formally known as LP; Lik Be, now LB!

Indeed it was the work of the guys at Moonbase in finding the larger sets which confirmed my suspicions vis-à-vis their being 'LP', when they turned-up in sets with silver-chrome or gunmetal spacemen and chromium robots - along with lots of little vehicles, some of which were previously known as Tri-Ang Spacex over here and MPC Golden Astronauts over the pond.

You get a flag, nicely square (no/low gravity . . . and a hidden wire!), a chap with a camera "Watch the shadows dude; or some fuckwitt's'll convince themselves we never got here" and a guy with a sample- . . . spade? Shovel? Scoop . . . a sample-scoop! "It's Orange!"

Often issued with a Luna Landing Module (we've seen them here before with it), and bagged either as generics, or various jobber/phantom brands. Over here it was Culpitt.

They seem to have been sculpted by the same person who was responsible for the Robots/Aliens, but a little later - I suspect (?) - with the same base-underside styling and a similar mark, but without the LB cipher.

Which brings me to another question-mark, which remains a question-mark despite my being 90% sure (hedging a tad!), due to a lack of empirical evidence, but I think the AWI red-coat Airfix 'Washinton's Army' piracy, cake decorations (who DO have a blue-jacketed issue in the US - see 'AWI' passim), are also by the same guy, and - being in the same plastic - must be LB too, probably along with at least one set of the 'Spirit of '76' trio, the smallest set in hard polystyrene.

For the missing small scale posts, you can't do better than go here for the spacemen . . .


While the vehicles - which I'll have  a box-ticking on at some point (I don't have a perticualrly full sample) - are all to be found here.

As these are 'plastic smalls' they should prove to be of no interest to those so recently of changed minds as to whether they are IDL or LP, but I'm now calling them LB!

No comments: