About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, May 3, 2020

T is for Two - Eastie Westies!

Technically it's three now, but there is a narrative through them, and a connection (spurious it has to be admitted) with the other day's Jean posts . . . and I'm not starting T is for Three! A few minor things which arose as I was sorting Wild West recently;

Cowboy; Cowboys & Indians; Cowboys and Indians; French Maker Gilbert; Gilbert Indian; Gilbert Wild West; Hopf; Indian Toy Figure; Jean Höffler; Jean Hoefler; Jean Horses; Jean Wild West; Mengersgereuth-Hämmern; Polish Toy Figures; PZG Indian; PZG Toy Figures; Richard Hopf; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Thüringen; Unknown French; Unknown Toy Figures; Unknown Wild West;
So, we looked at a couple of Indians the other week and I had a few cowboys too, all in a soft rubber-like material (which is closer to silicon that PVC, in its properties?) and all from Lisanto in the former East Germany (or Richard Hopf, I'm not too sure, but neither are some of the German websites!).

The 'spurious detail' is the horses - I'm sure I read somewhere that they sometimes come with Jean Horses, these two have (but they could have been added/switched by the owner), and the horses seem better painted than my Jean ones - which isn't saying a lot my Jean ones are pretty tatty, as we saw last week; they are the same as the coach-horses I shelfied on JB's stall though?

But, some sites show them having their own Elastolin'eque horses, so I have my own doubts over the Jean ones? Anyway, the figures fit them perfectly, so they will stay for now! Do you know the truth?

Cowboy; Cowboys & Indians; Cowboys and Indians; French Maker Gilbert; Gilbert Indian; Gilbert Wild West; Hopf; Indian Toy Figure; Jean Höffler; Jean Hoefler; Jean Horses; Jean Wild West; Mengersgereuth-Hämmern; Polish Toy Figures; PZG Indian; PZG Toy Figures; Richard Hopf; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Thüringen; Unknown French; Unknown Toy Figures; Unknown Wild West;
We were then going to use the Eastern-European connection to move to France (next image) but I realised I had these odd copies of two of the Lisanto/Richard Hopf (?) figures, one coming-in quite recently I think, the other was in storage.

They are a marbled plastic, but only from scraps rather that an attempt at colourfulness or decoration I feel, and while the donors have a three part mould leaving flat bases, these have gate marks on a two-part mould's split-line suggesting huge runners, the sort you might find on an amateur tool, or hand-operated injection machine?

They also have a French Santon look about them (phew - still got a link to two/three!), but I can find nothing on them, anyone else got any? Who copied who?

Cowboy; Cowboys & Indians; Cowboys and Indians; French Maker Gilbert; Gilbert Indian; Gilbert Wild West; Hopf; Indian Toy Figure; Jean Höffler; Jean Hoefler; Jean Horses; Jean Wild West; Mengersgereuth-Hämmern; Polish Toy Figures; PZG Indian; PZG Toy Figures; Richard Hopf; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Thüringen; Unknown French; Unknown Toy Figures; Unknown Wild West;
Which neatly mentions France while holding the Eastern link; the right-hand figure here, in both shots, is - I believe - from the French maker Guilbert (but there seem to be various versions of him from French makers?) while the figure on the left is attributed to the Polish firm/organisation of PZG and which - you can see - is a copy, bar the changes to the knife hand, and more blood on the scalped hairpiece, which is ostentatiously blonde . . . it'll be that General George Armstrong' a'dyin' again and again and . . .

No comments: