About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, July 19, 2020

News, Views Etc . . . Links & Stuff!

Been a while since we last had a few of these, I meant to post something yesterday but got sidetracked by something-else as you do! This lot might entertain and/or sidetrack you . . .

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Links





Ancient Egyptian boat pictures which are very useful for modellers

The first one (top of the page) has a necklace of Poundstore polymer!

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

More from My Modern Met



₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Books

London Review of books - the opening paragraph has a nice sideways dig at the poured metal brigade, both users and dealers! And the rest is an interesting read

Do you remember when we looked at this photo-art 'experience', well the shots by the photographer Simon Brann, have been collated in a book which is available from Amazon, here.

Whilst this one is aimed at younger readers and has Toy Soldiers coming to life and having adventures in Central Park - March Of The Toy Soldiers by Carson Morten.

And this one replays the battle of Gettysburg in toy and model soldiers, with (apparetly - I havem't read it) figures and dioramas from around the world - Gettysburg in Miniature - Scott L. Mingus et al

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Charities

All charities everywhere are struggling in or due-to Covid-19 (which we're also calling Sars-CoV-2 for some reason?); their shops may be shut, their fundraising events can't go ahead, they are unable to do the the flag-day/chugger stuff in the High Street, they are in a bad way, so if you normally give to a charity, any charity with any cause, and you've not throught about them for four months, maybe get a PayPal off to them while you're reminded?

Over here we have Jane Garfield's The Toy Project for toy-specific giving and The Toy Box

And while TJF loves to cover the same UK charity as me (did you see him today - T. Cohn because I mentioned them two days ago! He's lost without me, LOST!)*, he seems to have remained very quite on the subject of domestic charities, so for those loyal readers over the pond who would like to donate there's both a US Military and US Toy Industry charities to pick from, for starters.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Obituaries

Two toy soldier collectors have joined the too-long list of loses this year, and we're only half-way through it.



May they find the toys they were still looking-for wherever they are now.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Thought for the Day

George Orwell once stated that he had seen many children who wanted to play with toy soldiers, but never one who wished to play with a toy ­pacifist, fun sentiment if you want to justify militarism, but I had many friends who stuck with farm and/or zoo toys, civilian vehicles or football/Subbuteo, so in this instance I think Mr. Orwell was being either simplistic, taking an unscientifically small sample of his like-minded peers to generate a theorem, or more cynical than me!

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Meatheaded-faceplant Moment of the Day

The good news is, on either side of the pond both their age/health demographics and their desire to gather in Nazi-saluting groups without facemasks (extreme-left Antifa plot; don't you know!!!! Haahaahhaaahaha!), mean they will be dying from Covid in proportionally larger numbers than sensible, sane 'lefties'; taking votes from Boris and the Orange Loon which won't come back!

*******************************************

* No, no it's no coincidence, it would be coincidence if it happened once in a blue-moon, but it's happened about eight-times since April! I can't move for him mentioning the same firm or the same person or even the same figures a few days or a week or two later! When I mentioned in passing that I'd refreshed the US retailers list (all 23 of them) he posted a whole two, a few days later! Probably the only two he still talks-to, or two who haven't found him or his monkey-lizard slagging them off on a locked French forum yet! It’s funny, but it's tiresome.

The funniest so far was after I did the Jean Wild West day (three or four posts? I can't remember) and he followed-up with three figures in two pictures, the accompanying blurb for which was too cowardly to call for or against the theory I had proposed - re. moulds - so he tried to suggest I might be wrong, but then hinted it might be the case! No gumption, the man's got no gumption! Then there was the two-day Hing Fat thing but I'll deal with that separately; it's quite illuminating!

No comments: