About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Q is for Quis Es Quo Vadis . . . or Question Time!

In the last donation to the blog from Chris Smith, you may remember there were a couple of small Romans, around the 50-mil mark, we;; they were interesting and in the correspondence that accompanies such donation I mentioned to Chris that while they looked new-ish - production wise - they were also 'new' to me.

A day or so later Chris sent me a link to some on feebleBay, and I started watching it, in the end I watched it for two, possibly three cycles before I felt I had the funds/excuse to bid, put in the minimum bid required crossed my fingers and stopped watching it (fatal if you keep watching, that's how you get in bidding wars!), a couple of days later I had a 'please pay' message in Yahoo, and Bob's yer' uncle - they were on their way!

Caesar; Gladiators; Gladius; Legionaires; Made in China; Novelty Pencil Sharpener; Novelty Roman; Pencil Sharpener Novelty; Pencil Sharpener Roman; Plastic Gladiators; Plastic Romans; Quis es; Quo Vadis; Rack Toy Romans; Roman Auxiliaries; Roman Gladiators; Roman Legionaries; Roman Legionnaires; Roman Novelty; Roman Pencil Sharpener; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unknown Romans;
These are they and they seem to be A) a complete sample of one of each, of eight poses, in B) two colours, with C) four more-military looking types and three who are closer to gladiators in general costume/equipment, with one who's a bit Bi!*. But I stress, there could be more poses and/or more colours, however - I haven't seen them!

As to the origins? They have features, 'signature' features even, in-common with the smaller sized pirate or Ninja output of RedBox (HGL in the UK), Toy Major and/or Dollar General (or Dollar Tree?), or even those Imperial 'vs' paired sets and are very similar to a set of nights currently under dozens of phantom brands on Alibaba and Amazon, in various configurations, with and/or without (or only) mounted company, and/or siege equipment. Ironically the knights are sometimes called Roman Soldiers!


and


But I have been unable to find these as current, or in any packaging just the odd lose one? They could just as easily have come from Funtastic, Funrise, Peterkin, Ja-Ru, Playwrite, Unique or any other import 'jobber' who issues bi-coloured sets of protagonists, cheaply manufactured in the Far East as rack-toys or party-favours?

* Shield-wise they could all be Gladiators, and I have searched as hard under that moniker and 'Toy Romans' or 'Roman Soldiers'? I shall call them Etruscan's!

Caesar; Gladiators; Gladius; Legionaires; Made in China; Novelty Pencil Sharpener; Novelty Roman; Pencil Sharpener Novelty; Pencil Sharpener Roman; Plastic Gladiators; Plastic Romans; Quis es; Quo Vadis; Rack Toy Romans; Roman Auxiliaries; Roman Gladiators; Roman Legionaries; Roman Legionnaires; Roman Novelty; Roman Pencil Sharpener; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unknown Romans;
In the searching for info on them I found these all over the place as un-packaged generics; buy the cheapest you can find with free postage is my advice, all-in with postage they vary from the £6.18p I paid, up to 40+quid!! There's one born every minute - don't let it be you!

Caesar; Gladiators; Gladius; Legionaires; Made in China; Novelty Pencil Sharpener; Novelty Roman; Pencil Sharpener Novelty; Pencil Sharpener Roman; Plastic Gladiators; Plastic Romans; Quis es; Quo Vadis; Rack Toy Romans; Roman Auxiliaries; Roman Gladiators; Roman Legionaries; Roman Legionnaires; Roman Novelty; Roman Pencil Sharpener; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unknown Romans;
He's in the style of the 'antiqued' novelty pencil sharpeners which have been a staple of museum and touristy gift-shops and stationers since the 1960's, but a larger piece, and modern, Chinese-made - obviously! He's in a die-cast alloy and carries no clue to manufacturer either in person or on the sales sites, but ticks a box and makes an excellent statue for smaller figures!

Caesar; Gladiators; Gladius; Legionaires; Made in China; Novelty Pencil Sharpener; Novelty Roman; Pencil Sharpener Novelty; Pencil Sharpener Roman; Plastic Gladiators; Plastic Romans; Quis es; Quo Vadis; Rack Toy Romans; Roman Auxiliaries; Roman Gladiators; Roman Legionaries; Roman Legionnaires; Roman Novelty; Roman Pencil Sharpener; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unknown Romans;
Playing in Picasa!

A quick sketch I managed to fire-off out of the bus window as we went through a village with an unpronounceable name somewhere near Rimini! Do you have a brand for the little plastic ones?

Both Peter E and Mark the 'Man of Tin' confirm Funtastic - Phew, at least I had them in the long-list! See comments.

5 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

Omnium Rerum Principia Parva Sunt

peterE said...

They were by Funtastic sold in poundland around 2017 as knights of legend, two sets in both colours and a wild west wagon. A £1 a bag !
I've seen them asking silly prices on Ebay

Hugh Walter said...

Jan - Ita quidem! (They liked their 'Q's those Romans!)

Thanks Peter - They obviously didn't send any to Basingrad, as that would be about the same time I was getting the multi-coloured unicorns and the skeletons? Nice to know anyway, and I can label them up!

Cheers both.

H

Mark, Man of TIN said...

Here they are from Funtastic - bought for me as a gift in the SE - https://poundstoreplasticwarriors.wordpress.com/2016/10/31/funtastic-caballeros-or-knights/

Hugh Walter said...

Hi Mark, thanks for that, I missed it at the time, but I only found you a couple of years ago I think? You must have done something to your SEO as you're very 'visible' now, but weren't then?

Yeah! "Almost Romans"!! I'm sticking with Etruscans!

H