About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

O is for Old School!

This is a fun piece, Theo van de Weerden sent me this shot with some items he was hoping I could ID (some, but not all!), and while it didn't need ID'ing itself, it's clearly marked . . .

Artillery Cannon; Artillery Gun; Artillery Piece; Dulcop; Dulcop Gun; Firing Artillery Cannon; Firing Gun; Firing Toy; Italian Toys; Made In Italy; Novelty Toy; Novelty Toy Cannon; Novelty Toy Gun; Plastic Cannon; Plastic Gun; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
. . . Dulcop of Italy; I couldn't work out from the photograph if it was complete, incomplete or smashed-up! Nor was it clear how it was supposed to work, so I asked Theo if he could explain further!

Artillery Cannon; Artillery Gun; Artillery Piece; Dulcop; Dulcop Gun; Firing Artillery Cannon; Firing Gun; Firing Toy; Italian Toys; Made In Italy; Novelty Toy; Novelty Toy Cannon; Novelty Toy Gun; Plastic Cannon; Plastic Gun; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
He then kindly re-shot it and found a link to one on evilBay with the bullets. The second set of shots are odd-coloured due to the remnants of what seems to have been a uniform coat of silver paint (mostly now worn off) reflecting back at us - which had gone some way toward confusing with the upper image too. Once you've seen these shots, the first one become equally clear!

What we actually have here is a nice, probably early production, Dulcop novelty piece which fires two large shells (which clip onto the two strange cut-outs in the shield) using a sort of 'pop-gun' action and may not have been connected to their later toy soldier line at all, but rather sold purely as an interactive, if slightly violent plaything.

It would though, make a lovely howitzer or mountain-gun for old school set-them-up-and-knock-them-down carpet wars. Thanks to Theo for sharing it with the rest of us.

No comments: