About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, November 6, 2020

O is for Oi, Oi, Oi! What's All This Then?

[All in squeaky voice as small firefighter enters stage left] "We'll not be having naked-flames round all that Gunpowder young Guido, take him away gents".

1600's; 17 Century; 54mm Toy Soldiers; Contribution; Diorama; Disney; Disney Characters; Disney Micky Mouse; Firework Night; Guido Fawkes; Gunpowder Plot; Gunpowder Treason And Plot; Gunpowder Treason Plot; Guy Fawkes; Jesuit Treason; King James I; Micky Mouse; November 5 1605; November 5th; Plastic Figurines; Remember Remember; Replicants; Robert Catesby; Roman Catholics; Seasonal Toys; Treason;
A lesser known moment of history which escaped O-level studies as Micky Mouse carries the day, also courtesy of Brian Berke (see yesterday's post) our roving reporter from New York who was on hand to capture the truly historic occasion.

1600's; 17 Century; 54mm Toy Soldiers; Contribution; Diorama; Disney; Disney Characters; Disney Micky Mouse; Firework Night; Guido Fawkes; Gunpowder Plot; Gunpowder Treason And Plot; Gunpowder Treason Plot; Guy Fawkes; Jesuit Treason; King James I; Micky Mouse; November 5 1605; November 5th; Plastic Figurines; Remember Remember; Replicants; Robert Catesby; Roman Catholics; Seasonal Toys; Treason;
I can't add a lot, so I won't! It's Micky Mouse, with a hose!

1600's; 17 Century; 54mm Toy Soldiers; Contribution; Diorama; Disney; Disney Characters; Disney Micky Mouse; Firework Night; Guido Fawkes; Gunpowder Plot; Gunpowder Treason And Plot; Gunpowder Treason Plot; Guy Fawkes; Jesuit Treason; King James I; Micky Mouse; November 5 1605; November 5th; Plastic Figurines; Remember Remember; Replicants; Robert Catesby; Roman Catholics; Seasonal Toys; Treason;
It seems you wait ages for a firefighting Micky Mouse, then two come at once!

Cheers Brian . . . I think!

4 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

He always appears where you least expect him to. He is no longer with Mini. They had a falling out. It was never mentioned by the management at Disney in fears that it would affect the Disney brand. Mickey freelances now, I see he got an cameo on your site. Fricking Mickey. A mouse gotta do what a mouse gotta do!

Hugh Walter said...

I hate the little bleeder Jan, but I know Brain and probably lots of other loyal readers have a soft spot for him, so in the interests of inclusivity we ran with the story! Hard to spike a firefighting-mouse saving the mother of parliaments!

H

Terranova47 said...

I put up with the mouse because my two year old grandson sees Disney cartoons and has colouring books of Disney characters.

In terms of marketing the mouse pretty much created character merchandising. Funnily enough this week a real mouse was disposed off in a trap in the basement/playroom my grandson uses.

I suspect my daughter said 'Good riddance Mickey' when disposing of the creature.

Hugh Walter said...

I know Terra' and it's all in jest . . . I have dozens of the little bleeder! Marx, Heimo, Disney Shops . . . you can't escape from him, it's like coke-cans in 'virgin' woods, or idiots in Parliament!!

One day I'll have to do a Mickey 'special' - shock horror! 8-(

H