About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, May 7, 2021

P is for Piss Poor Paperwork

I've added a minor metal maker Eugene Custer (I think) to the A-Z pages (much more on those pages when I'm settled in a new home - year or so), the accompanying image for which is pretty shite, but it is better . . . 

Custer E B; Custer Miniatures; Eugene B Custer; Polk's; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
. . . than it was; image on the left! These all came from the James Chase Collection a decade and a half ago, he was big in Floridian port management and obviously had the use of an early photostat or photo-copier of some kind, which prints like MacDonald's recipts, changing colour near heat and eventually fading to nothing! Anyway, I've managed to get it back partially with heavy contrast, certainly enough to ID the heavy, square bases . . . and as we work through the A-Z entries there will be more of them! It's a page from an old Polk's catalogue, circa 1950'ish?

4 comments:

EY said...

One of the ways I heard of to make the print re-appear on faded receipts is to apply heat to the back. Not sure if this works for faded photocopies though.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers EY, I think some of them (like this one) are early Thermofax copies (3M) and would just go black all over! Some of the later copies are early Xerox stuff and have kept their colour, in both cases they aren't the best, but for a lot of them the original documents turned-up as well!

It was weird, but the guy must have made between 10 and 50 copies of all the ephemera in his collection, there were huge boxes of it, and in 1950's money tens of thousands of dollars worth?

H

EY said...

Collectors do weird things. All the copies must have been back-ups in case the originals got lost/damaged?

Hugh Walter said...

Yeah, I guess - he was harbormaster at one of the Florida ports, can't remember which one but biggish, Tampa or Miami? And he obviously had access to the room with the machines that go ping!

H