About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, July 24, 2021

H is for How They Come In - They Come Back!

My late Mum was a hoarder, not the daytime schedule/early-evening, TV reality-show, whacko-piles of damp newspaper that eventually kills the occupant in a stairs triggered landslide of old news and sports reports type hoarder, but rather someone who went through the war and it's deprivations, and determined never to throw anything away which might be useful. Consequently the sorting of her estate has been a long, slow process - which is ongoing - and which has thrown-up some interesting stuff, among which was this . . .

Airfix; Animals; Bear; Big Cats; Briatins Animals; Britains; Cat; Farm; Farm Animals; Highlander; Hippo; Lost wax; Memento; Memories; Piglets; Platypus; Rabbit; Silversmithing; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tarzan; Wild Animals; Zoo; Zoo Animals;
. . . I'm not sure if it's an old J&J/Boots fabric-plaster box, or an early Cotton-bud/Q-Tip container, but the contents were momentarily a complete mystery to me (given that she knew I collected this stuff and would pass on the odd bit she did find), until I remembered she had taken a few pieces from my Brother and I, years ago (mid/late-1970's) to try her hand at casting them in silver, using the 'lost-wax' method, but with pre-formed plastics rather than wax sculpts . . . she may have intended to experiment with plaster moulds too, I can't remember.

Airfix; Animals; Bear; Big Cats; Briatins Animals; Britains; Cat; Farm; Farm Animals; Highlander; Hippo; Lost wax; Memento; Memories; Piglets; Platypus; Rabbit; Silversmithing; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tarzan; Wild Animals; Zoo; Zoo Animals;
The reminder of this event was actually a small Britains baby bear (of which I had several in my Ancient Briton army!), which is missing, but I seem to recall both the bear and a small elephant or lion 'not working', so they must have been lost in the 'losing' process?

You can see she took items which might be commercially popular as novelties, Guy the Gorilla was still popular in the national memory, big cats, little cats and pigs are always popular as are rabbits, the highlander was once one of my most prized possessions, like the 'last man standing' Airfix German Paratrooper officer, I had gone to some effort over the painting of him!

There is also the possibility that another incident started the thought process which led to this micro-hoard . . . we were on holiday somewhere, and Mum had made us follow her round some antiques place, you know the sort of thing - with lots of 'kiosks' or bays - and as a reward for our behavior whilst obviously bored, asked us if we'd like to chose something from a cheapie cabinet, I can't recall what my brother chose, but I chose a piglet, landscaped on a plinth; a mini vignette. She then tried to talk me out of it with a disdainful "You don't want that"!, but I was adamant, and the thing was purchased, what she had spotted which I hadn't was that it was a Britains piglet (as above) heavily glossed (black & white) to resemble glazed ceramic, landscaped with PollyfillaTM stained with watercolours, on a stack of old coat-buttons, glued together and painted gold! She pointed all this out back at the car, but hadn't wanted to be rude in front of the dealer! I was still happy with it, but the pig soon broke-free of the filler and joined the other animals in the farm tub!

And no - I don't know why there's a Christmas Cracker miniature compass in there with them!

Airfix; Animals; Bear; Big Cats; Briatins Animals; Britains; Cat; Farm; Farm Animals; Highlander; Hippo; Lost wax; Memento; Memories; Piglets; Platypus; Rabbit; Silversmithing; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tarzan; Wild Animals; Zoo; Zoo Animals;
Point of focus was different on the two shots! Highlights include the Britains running rabbit and sitting cat, along with the piglet being fed from the later farm figures' set.

Airfix; Animals; Bear; Big Cats; Briatins Animals; Britains; Cat; Farm; Farm Animals; Highlander; Hippo; Lost wax; Memento; Memories; Piglets; Platypus; Rabbit; Silversmithing; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tarzan; Wild Animals; Zoo; Zoo Animals;
Now . . . I thought I had one of these, but it hasn't turned up in all the sorting and consolidating I've been doing since January, so finding our childhood pair (Mum bought us one each in Fleet Toys, not because we wanted them but because she thought they were dinky!) has been a useful bonus, although one of them has been more chewed than the other; I'll blame my brother as I just don't remember playing with them that much!

Airfix; Animals; Bear; Big Cats; Briatins Animals; Britains; Cat; Farm; Farm Animals; Highlander; Hippo; Lost wax; Memento; Memories; Piglets; Platypus; Rabbit; Silversmithing; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tarzan; Wild Animals; Zoo; Zoo Animals;
This article - on stone animals - has been in the 'long-queue' since 2014 (ignore the given date - it's how I sort stuff in Picasa), and now needs a complete re-shoot, which won't be done for a while yet, but one image was worth pulling-up and adding to this post as it's . . .

Airfix; Animals; Bear; Big Cats; Briatins Animals; Britains; Cat; Farm; Farm Animals; Highlander; Hippo; Lost wax; Memento; Memories; Piglets; Platypus; Rabbit; Silversmithing; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tarzan; Wild Animals; Zoo; Zoo Animals;

. . . another Duck Billed Platypus! Although if you know anything about these critters Duck Billed Dinobeast is more apt, they have a poison spur and a bad temper! But if you are the last/only living species of your entire taxonomic family and genus AND used to be hunted for food by the pink monkeys; you'd be a bit mad.

This one is bronze with 18/22ct gold-leaf on the bill and webbed-claws, the whole soldered/braised (?) to a stone! He's about twice the size of the Britains plastic platypuses, -pusses? Platipii? And must be an upmarket Australian tourist memento thing . . . I have a cheaper miner with pick-axe, in whitemetal, similarly attached to a piece of stone, which might be Antipodean, from the Ruhr or Welsh?

No comments: