About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, August 13, 2026

P is for Peterkin's Packs of Plastic Pets

Actually, we've looked at the cats and dogs previously, but there's no good synonym for 'animals' beginning with p? I grabbed most of the outstanding Peterkin sets, when they appeared in one of the local garden centre's as post Christmas re-stock, then Peter Evans gave me another the other day, leaving two duplicates to be shot close-up, and a box-ticking check-list of the others, adding to the Peterkin Tag!
 

We saw the Birds, bagged, a while ago, so here they are 'in the flesh', pretty standard selection, unnamed on the packaging but I'm guessing here, from the lop left - Goose, Swan, Vulture, the Ashamed Eagle (currently looking for a new home, Canada; it's got more gravitas than a Beaver?), another Goose, the Guinness Toucan, an Owl, a Parrot and a Parakeet?
 
Giant Insects and small Unicorns, there seems to be two poses, each in four colours, and we may have seen them undecorated from another rack-toy issuer?
 
A mix of Cetaceans and Sharks, again, pretty standard, and pack-scale, rather than 'in scale', and some reptiles, which includes amphibians and a living dinosaur!
 
Scale here is all over the place, but it makes the Komodo Dragon perfect for 54mm figures, while a giant Chamaeleon dwarves a Frilled Lizard.
 
Possibly the poorest sculpt is the crocodile/alligator thing, which harks back to the gape-mouth dino's of the 1970's (which you can still find occasionally!), while a couple of snakes in the background are vaguely a Cobra and a more generic green Mamba/Tree Python.
 
Presumably a 'Giant Galápagos Tortoise', but not one of the more distinctive breeds, so rather a large normal tortoise! And two tree frogs, neither of which species am I going to try and guess!
 
I didn't get a good shot of the Dinosaurs, but I have a feeling this will prove to be a duplicate set too, so I'll open it and shoot them properly another day, maybe for next year's Rack Toy Month?
  
 
 Farm set
 
 
 'Zoo' set (wild animals)
 
Both pretty standard, both eight-counts on the mouldings, and I wouldn't be surprised to find a lot of these are based on other peoples previous stuff, their (Peterkin's) combat infantry set are clones of earlier mouldings by other people.

No comments: