About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Monday, June 21, 2010

D is for Darlek and The Dr...Doctor Who?...Exactly!

These were given away free with the Doctor Who Adventures magazine last week, I only noticed them on the Monday (it's a Thursday-to-Thursday publication cycle), so grabed the last one in Sainsbury's Wantage, then managed to get the last one in Great Shefford's petrol (filling) station on Wednesday night!

The reason I show them is not to crow (although I did get two sets!!!!), but to point out that about two years ago these were issued with the same magazine in Gold plastic, and about 3 weeks later they were followed by Silver Cybermen, sooo; If they are following a free gift 'cycle' look out for Cybermen any day now?

You can also watch feeBay for these on £4.99 buy-it-now in the next few weeks as that's what happened last time...the mag is £2.20

6 comments:

The Philosophic Toad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Philosophic Toad said...

That earlier set of gold Daleks were proper Daleks. These new orangey ones are the bloody-awful, new-design Fatleks :(

Oi! Moffat! No! You don't want to do that. Leave them Daleks alone.

But yes, I hope you're right about the chances of a second freebie set in the near future. Some little Sontarans would be nice.

Maverick Collecting said...

Yeh, the heads are very small in comparison with the bodies. I didn't get the gold one's so I couldn't make a judgment, although when I've seen them on feeBay, they've looked a few mil's smaller and a single piece, while these are 3 parts, so i'm hopeing to cut a couple up and do something with them...Stavros?

Also I will one day compare all the Darlek's I have, most of which have problems, Rolykins are too conical, Cherilea is deformed, 'reissue' Rolykins have huge bases...you'd think such a simple design could be reproduced well by some of our leading Toy companies, but - NO!

Maverick Collecting said...

Doh!...Flatley!!!...Davros!

The Philosophic Toad said...

I have a spare "gold" Dalek which you are welcome to have.

Stavros was Davros's less evil brother ^_^

Maverick Collecting said...

I'll swap you for something...I'll eMail.H