About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Monday, October 17, 2011

M is for Mini-trucks, Part 5 - Types 4A-4E

Another line-up, these are really very similar to look at, the differences being either on the underside, as markings or in the number of grill-bars to the radiators (something I haven't documented as it's a step beyond the level of fartiness I've already taken this to!!

Type 4A

Soft polyethylene plastic
All plastic black ethylene ‘spoked’ wheel/axle mouldings
Windows appear for the first time
Marked with ‘HONGKONG’ (all one word) across cargo-bed and ‘666’ (or inverted 999?)
Smaller still, various coloured bodies, black plug-ins some of which are semi-flat
42mm long

Sets –
MARINE INVASION SET

Type 4A - sets - continued;

ARMY VEHICLES
(small, bagged)
ARMY VEHICLES COMBAT SET (larger, carded, 1966)

Type 4B Fire engine ladder-truck and sketch of underside

Type 4B Bell/water-tank fire engine and markings either side of centre-line

Type 4B

Soft polyethylene plastic
All plastic black ethylene ‘spoked’ wheel/axle mouldings (flimsy)
Windows
Marked with ‘HONG KONG’ at angle or offset from the centre-line by 90-degrees
Red bodies, silver plug-ins; semi-flat, mould damage to underside
42mm long
Sets – Budget Christmas Crackers (where one of mine came from, approximately 1974)

Type 4C

Soft polyethylene plastic
All plastic black ethylene ‘spoked’ wheel/axle mouldings (crude)
Windows
Marked with ‘HONG KONG’ across cargo-bed
Green, black plug-ins, poorly moulded, low sides to cargo-bed
42mm long
Sets –
TANKS WITH SOLDIERS AND ARMY VEHICLES 
BATTLE OF THE SEA

Type 4D

Soft polyethylene plastic
All plastic black ethylene ‘spoked’ wheel/axle mouldings
Windows
Marked with remains of large ‘HONGKONG’ (all one word) across cargo-bed
As 4C but poorer quality, plug-ins unknown
42mm long

Type 4E

Soft polyethylene plastic
All plastic black ethylene ‘ring tyred’ wheel/axles
Windows
Marked with neat medium sized ‘HONG KONG’ across cargo-bed
Cleaned-up/redesign, flat underside to cargo bed, various coloured bodies with black plug-ins, new loads include an ambulance cabin and a ‘blunderbuss’!
42mm long

2 comments:

Giano said...

Hi! I had a few of those 4E (I think) when I was a kid. They were in absurd colors, and also the plugins were coloured. I remember an orange lorry with a white ambulance cab.
Also one had a white rocket, and if I recall exactly some radar pans were grey. My favourite had a brown machine gun (or maybe a ray gun, it was quite a strange device).
They were packed together with 1/72 soldiers, copies of Airfix stuff.

Maverick Collecting said...

Thank's Giano, I feel civilian vertions of most will turn-up now i'm looking for them, but I tend to amass the military ones as they come in with the figures in mixed lots and I had them as a kid!

As well as colours, I'm sure there are many more loads/plug-ins to be found, but that's what keeps us collecting once we've ticked-off the 'Want's' list!!