About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

R is for Revell

I can't remember where I got these from, but it was more likely to have been a general toy fair rather than a war-gaming convention. General toy fairs and railway enthusiasts meets always have richer pickings for esoteric collectors such as myself, and I never understand why people complain about - for instance; the lack of Airfix Highlanders, when if you go to the right place you'll find as many as you want.

I used to think these were repackaged Plasticville by Bachmann, but they are in fact a different thing altogether, the kit is not as simple as a Bachmann, not as pre-coloured as the European kits of the same era, yet has more accessories than the Airfix Branchline stuff.

The figures look like Preiser but aren't, there are figures in the set at the top, but they don't show up so well as they are brown, and I haven't taken them out of the bag!

I used to always make up old kits like this, I made-up two (not one but two!) True-scale jailhouses (what an idiot!!), these days I am a little less philistine in my approach to old toys and models, but will always take new production off the sprue - the stuff t'aint never gonna be worth nothing, not even the 'limited edition' sets from the East.

No comments: