About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

W is for Weihnachts Tannenbaum

Every year I take loads of photographs of the tree as I dress it, and yet apart from the odd one here or on the Facebook, never seem to do anything with them, building a decent enough photographic record of the tree's development over the years, is all! So I thought I'd subject you to a few for the hell of it, and because having decided to do multiple posts today there's a need to produce the posts with whatever's kicking around on the desktop!

And because there's Toy Soldiers involved - if wafer-thin glass can be trusted to wear 'toy' as a moniker! "Elf 'und'safty mate, these 'aint no toys, roight, whachyerself, cutting hazard right there!"

This is the years additions to the family tree, we added a craft-built hedgehog last year, so I got him a mate, while drums and bears have always been favorites, indeed, the growing 'growl' of bears have put in the odd appearance here on the blog!

The soldiers are brilliant; they came from TK Max, and quite by accident, they had a set with a bear, and angel and a couple of other singles, but the only one I could find had a damaged bear (some hammer-fingered lumpty had stove his head in), so I went to a couple of other stores over the last 6 weeks or so, more than once, hoping for a restock, and while the bear never appeared again I did find a set of four little soldiers, 2 to me, 2 to the 'family' tree!

All four - being smaller they will fill the difficult gaps at the top of the tree where the big ones tend to look silly!

I also found these, but they were almost too big at around 5 1/2 or 6-inches, and the finish was poor (mostly hidden by the photo) with the legs streaked matt and gloss where the paint wasn't mixed well, and the hat's paint wearing-off, so I just shelfied them.

I found them in a place called Home Store or something (I'll look it up when I publish - Homesense) which seemed to be a TK Max subsidiary, with furniture instead of clothes, but the same household and gift stuff?

That's it for today, hope you had a good one. Starting tomorrow; a 12-part story of snowman-love!

2 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

Merry Christmas Hugh! Nice collection of Christmas decorations.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Jan - Hope you had a happy Christmas yourself!

H