About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

P is for Plunder From The 'Park

My gatherings from Sandown Park at the beginning of March weren’t that numerous or special, but as a 'How they come in' post, are worth a look.

Adrian of Mercator Trading7 had saved a little box of goodies for me and these were they, we've looked at a couple now already the SAE cow is on the Airfix Farm set page as a size-comparison shot and the dispatch-rider was in the recent bike post.

Other highlights are plastic vehicles from Kleeware (yellow lorry), Beeju (rural 1950's bus - this one with better transfers than the last one we looked at here) and Tudor Rose (other truck) along with an HK open-tourer, probably from a Christmas cracker or a rack-toy service-station type set?

Gemodels tennis players and a Lego chestnut tree were other highlights, while the very small green vehicles were 'find of the day'! Back when it was still the 1960's and I was very small myself . . . no, I'll tell the story another day in a separate post - but look carefully - one of them's a Land Rover . . . or is it an Austin Gypsy?!

The purchases from one pocket, again we've looked at several of the better pieces now, the Lido wagons were a surprise, the cat is very odd - being some kind of composition or home-bake modelling compound, but with a human face and coloured all-through the material, it's also a crude cast with heavy fettling and might be from a board game? A Speedwell chief and Tri-Ang's Mr. Periwinkle Pennybrix are also to be seen.

Pieces from the other pocket, the HK copy of a Matchbox Yesteryear 'Old Fashioned Car' (a Renault?) is missing a canopy, but I have an idea I have a spare somewhere, so it may yet be completed! We've looked at the motorcycle since and some of the other pieces will be Blogged soon.

A fiver-each from John at Plastic Toy Soldiers (eBay's PTS52) and both looked at a few weeks ago here - it seems that a complete Food Fighters bag should have another set of the poses in green, so I bought the rejected 'Germans'!

Gareth (who has new figures out) also brought me a bag of bits and it was filled with all sorts of useful stuff, pirates; including a Thomas 'dressing-up kids' copy, two Kellogg's type Jig Toys, the lorry being a different shade of blue to my other one, a pair of [Rocco?] cowboys with the damage these figures always have, another Christmas cracker angel (I have the makings of a whole orchestra somewhere now!), a nice HK gun and equally interesting tipi/teepee, along with another Rae rearing horse in a new colour - Thanks Gareth!

And - speaking of Jig Toys, I posted a link at the top of that page a week or so ago, to Rob's Puzzle Page on Jig Toys, go check it out; it's awesome!

2 comments:

remaras said...

Nice cache of booty. You have acquired some nice specimens.

Hugh Walter said...

It's funny Remaras; it's a general toy show, you know - a bit like Brussels maybe? - but I always seem to find a half a bag of useful bits and bobs, not usually sets or anything, but bits which will go with other bits to make future posts!

Lets hear it for rummage trays and £1 tubs!

H