About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

M is for Mud-Pies

I was thinking of doing more Starlux or more Elephants tonight, but then these turned-up and I thought I'd do a quick "Look what came out of the toy-mine today", with a single photograph as I did when I found the lead horseman a year or two ago, but the more I dug the more turned-up...literally; as the fork was producing them as it turned-over the soil.

So these were the harbingers of the mother-load to come...I was digging Mum's veg-patch, bearing in mind that she has lived here for over 30 years and both my brother and I have dug bits of the garden from time to time, dug-out old roots and weeded here and there, and I have found the odd bit of Lego or Betta-Builder over the years but thought nothing of it, there are billions of bits of both in the UK and you often find them in the strangest places...but this; this is different!

The stuff was eventually coming out of the ground with every forkful, and I dutifully put it to one side along with an old Marmite bottle and a Camp chicory bottle, both pre-dating this stuff by several decades and both in good nick.

Top right shows the washed articles like a plate of little jewels, for the most part the plastics hardly faded or affected by several decades in the ground, bottom left shows them divided into four piles; Binned before you read this (sadly that included the Matchbox Spitfire wing...why were their transfers so much better than Airfix's?! +/- 33 years and a wash in hot soapy water and they stayed on!); The 'Savable with work' pile - yellow and green bits, the 'Odd bits for an eventual feeBay lot' which will join tons of similar detritus in a large picnic-tub somewhere and the 'Going into the collection' pile which consists of the items in the close-up.

Being - a near-mint Charbens lifeguard trumpeter on foot, regal trumpeting, for the use of. He did have the remains of paint on, but it was so sparse I removed it at the washing stage. A rocket-tip or bomb for the bag of such things and a piece of pink plastic which I'm pretty sure is from the Merit castle-builder/infant-toy we looked at ages ago, I'm so sure I'm not even going to check that post before I publish this, so maybe a slice of humble-pie before bed? [Hark the sound of an ample slice of pie being consumed - the hole wasn't even the same size! so...] If so it will go into the useful bits pile!

Top left is a few of the other usable items, and the broken car, which I show here as I have a horrible feeling its a Mebetoys car, a few years ago I worked with a chap called Andrew Adamedies, who is a bit of an acknowledged expert on Mebetoys and remember him telling me how you could tell them by the self-tapping screws rather than rivets on the underside...this one has a self-tapper!

Weird how the ear from a Mr. Potato Head - usually the first item to brake - is the only survivor of a long-lost set! The yellow thing is some precursor of Kinder, and I have found a few of these over the years, the holes are for sticking things into it to make something a bit more recognisable that an egg with holes...gum-ball machines?

The flat-bed for the Lego articulated lorry seems beyond redemption, but a judicious cut by the wheel-stops will result in a usable piece. The fork unfortunately killed the Lego tree made from raw-material pellets (my favourite type of Lego tree) and I think the base is still in the ground as the break was clean. However, a bit of rain may reveal it, or tomorrows raking...and in the meantime the three-pieces will glue-back together to make a fine bush!

So, a bit more digging tomorrow and then planting, but from plotting what I found today and where the other bits were a few years ago, the main mother-load is still to be dug, they are safe in the ground for a few more years and one day I'll make a project of it...It's a load of junk but it was free - which is always nice - and it just came out of the ground - which is nicer still!

If this was a movie; Someone (Guy in yellow tee #3) would be throwing his safety-helmet in the air, jumping up and down, grinning like a madman and shouting;

"Broken Plastic! Boss - We've hit broken PLASTIC!"

2 comments:

Gog said...

"if this was a movie..." What? is this NOT a movie? it's probably the most amazing story about toys I have ever heard.

In the movie "the boy who could fly", Fred Savage buries his G.I.Joes and later gets them back from the earth in a raining scene. This is something similar, only 33 years later.

Maverick Collecting said...

Well - it's just a few bits of plastic detritus, but I was thinking of when they hit oil, there's always one bloke covered in crude and grinning like a fool!

A few more bits turned-up today but the rest will have to wait, still they've been there for at least 34 years, so a few more won't hurt them!

Hugh