About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

S is for Ships (and other vessels); Part 2 - Bath toys and 'boxed'

These are my favourites of all the Hong Kong ship sets, they have a toy charm that you can't put your finger on, they seem to be original designs not piracies, they are 'pretty colours' - what's not to like!

Invasion Fleet - because everybody's LCT's are the same size as their carriers, aren't they!, these are probably meant to be bath toys despite the inclusion of the figure blister, there are no sharp edges or small pieces to brake or get lost.

A close-up of the carded set, when you scroll to the Submarines (two posts below) you'll see a note next to the Missile-armed one suggesting it belongs to a set like this, and you can see from the sub. included in this set what I mean.

A loose carrier of 10cm in length, I love the rakish flight-line in bright vermilion strokes and the hull-sculpting, I'm sure you're meant to float it!

They also appear in the non-carded bags, probably from confectionery 'lucky-bags', Christmas crackers or bulk-bags of party favours. Along with copies of first version Airfix figures and an MPC 'Mini's' aeroplane.

This Woolbro set has appeared here before, these are similar to the Lucky Toys vessels in Part 1 (above), but much smaller at 70mm. If you remove the hull though you get a good warship around 1:1200?...ish! Both these sets have polystyrene ships, with other accessories in soft plastic.

No comments: