About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

L is for 'Like Britains'

An interesting little thing this, Spear's Games take on the old BBC TV program; One Man and his Dog, imaginatively retitled One Shepherd and....!

The contents look - at first glance - to be Britains, but are in fact not, probably Hong Kong in origin, they are not marked as such, so there is the possibility that they were sourced from a UK maker with easy morals?

The fences are marked, J&L R, which is - of course - Merit...who were not above a bit of piracy! That's it, box ticked, pictures filed...

2 comments:

Bernard Taylor said...

Merit had a very similar figure in their 4mm scale Farmworkers set (ref:5115). The others look very much like the Britains 1/32nd figures too: http://www.vintagemodeltrains.biz/contents/media/l_merit1131007.jpg

Maverick Collecting said...

Hi Bernard

Yes, them and Marx both copied the Herald figures, their (Merit's) dogs were different though and the sheep were a bit two dimensional (more like the Lilliput sheep?), but my hint is that they (in this set) were probably by/from Merit, as the fences are?

Cheers
H