About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Saturday, February 4, 2017

C is for Contribution Fortnight - IX - Novelty Chopsticks from Brian


Well, the title says it all, Brian sent these with the following line; "Seen in Chinatown, NYC, these plastic one piece children's chop sticks are delightfully colorful plastic tat." And I can't disagree with any of his points, they are colorful (you're going native Brian!) ahem . . . colourful plastic and they are delightful tat!




They remind me of the Iwaco erasers, but I suspect a less 'take-apart' more 'over-moulding' technique is involved? Loving the green Panda, the orange tiger looks the part and who didn't have a pink rabbit when they were little . . . you didn't? Sue you parents for mental cruelty, everyone had a pink rabbit! I assume they can be removed and stood next to your place setting?

Brian added; "They somehow cross the divide between toy and practical objects.". Yes, and like nite-lites, candles, 'phone-stands, plant-ties, bottle-stops or bog-brushes we love that sort of thing here at Smallscaleworld! I'm still looking out for the 3-Samurai glass-stand thing that was in Plastic Warrior magazine (I think) ages ago!

I will also assume NKM is the retail-outlet not the brand . . . and did you notice that the piggy-wiggies come in Mr. & Mrs. variants!

Thanks Brian - novel, charming and tat - bargain!

5 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

How about some General Tso's Kitten, I mean chicken.

Terranova47 said...

Hugh, When writing to the UK I automatically revert to the Queen's English for spelling. Unfortunately the latest e-mail software auto corrects spelling back to the US version and I don't always notice.

Jan, I'll look for General Tso's Kitten or Chicken next time I'm in Chinatown. You never know.

Regards, Brian

Hugh Walter said...

Jan - Are kitten-mittens the by-product!

Brian - You know I was only joking....?

H

Jan Ferris said...

Perhaps it could be a break-away product or a special prize for ordering so much in take-out.

Hugh Walter said...

Jan....


....are you suggesting free kitten-mittens for overeater's?!!! This is one of those moments when you need the goggle-eyed emoticon!

H